Israeli Rights Violations in Palestine: 27 March - 2 April
Israeli forces continue systematic attacks against Palestinian civilians and property in the occupied Palestinian territory (oPt)
continued to open fire in the border areas of the Gaza
• A civilian sustained moderate wounds and two others, including a journalist, suffered tear gas inhalation.
Israeli forces continued to use
excessive force against peaceful protesters in the West
• Dozens of civilians suffered tear gas inhalation and others sustained bruises as they were beaten up by Israeli soldiers.
• Six civilians, including three children, were wounded during other demonstrations.
Israeli forces conducted 68
incursions into Palestinian communities in the West
• 23 Palestinian civilians were arrested.
Israel continued to impose a total
closure on the oPt and has isolated the Gaza Strip from the
• Israeli forces established dozens of checkpoints in the West Bank.
• At least 8 Palestinian civilians, including two children, were arrested at checkpoints in the West Bank.
navy forces continued targeting Palestinian fishermen in the
• Israeli navy forces opened fire at Palestinian fishing boats four times, but no casualties were reported.
Israel continued efforts to create a
Jewish majority in the occupied East
• Two civilians were obliged to demolish two residential barracks by their own.
Israeli forces continued to support settlement
activities in the West Bank and Israeli settlers continued
to attack Palestinian civilians and
• A Palestinian sustained a bullet wound as a settler opened fire at him.
• 8 residential tents and 4 livestock barns were demolished.
• 18 civilian facilities in the Northern Jordan Valley were demolished, due to which 38 civilians, including 22 children, became homeless.
• 7 residential rooms, south of Hebron, were demolished, due to which 95 civilians became homeless.
Israeli violations of international law and international humanitarian law in the oPt continued during the reporting period (27 March 02 April 2014).
During the reporting period, Israeli forces wounded 7 Palestinian civilians, including 3 children, in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, while a civilian sustained a bullet wound in the West Bank when a settler opened fire at him. Israeli navy forces fired at Palestinian fishing boats in the sea 4 times.
In the Gaza Strip, on 27 March 2014, Israeli forces stationed along the border fence, east of Beit Hanoun town in the northern Gaza Strip, fired live ammunition and gas canisters at hundreds of Palestinian civilians who organized demonstrations to mark the Land Day. As a result, a 37-year-old journalist and a 20-year-old civilian suffered tear gas inhalation.
On 29 March 2014, Israeli forces stationed along the border fence, east of Jabalia in the northern Gaza Strip, opened fire at a group of youngsters who approached the border fence to throw stones at Israeli soldiers. As a result, an 18-year-old civilian sustained a bullet wound to the left thigh. His wound was moderate.
On 31 March 2014, Israeli forces stationed along the border fence, east and north of Khuza'a village, east of Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip, opened fire at dozens of Palestinians who organized a demonstration and headed towards the border fence marking the Land Day. However, no casualties were reported.
In the context of targeting Palestinian fishermen in the sea, Israeli navy forces opened fire 4 times at Palestinian fishing boats on 29 and 31 March and 01 April 2014, but no casualties were reported.
In the West Bank, Israeli forces used excessive force against peaceful demonstrations organised by Palestinian civilians, international and Israeli human rights defenders in protest at the construction of the annexation wall and settlement activities in the West Bank. As a result, dozens of civilians suffered tear gas inhalation and others sustained bruises as they were beaten up by Israeli soldiers.
In the same context, 6 civilians, including 3 children, were wounded during other peaceful demonstrations at the western entrance of Selwad village, northeast of Ramallah; Beit Ommar village, north of Hebron; and Kofur Qaddoum village, northeast of Qalqilya. In addition, 3 women suffered tear gas inhalation during a demonstration at the southern entrance of al-Jalazoun refugee camp, north of Ramallah, on 28 March 2014.
On the same day, an 11-year-old child sustained a bullet wound to the right leg while he was standing in front of his house in Beit Ommar village, north of Hebron, and was then arrested by Israeli soldiers from his family house.
On 30 March 2014, a 24-year-old civilian sustained a bullet wound to the left leg when a settler opened fire at him on " Yitzhar" bypass road.
The full report is available here.
For further information please visit www.pchrgaza.org