World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Successes, Challenges in Response to Guinea Ebola Epidemic

Successes and Challenges in Response to Guinea Ebola Epidemic

A number of patients have been discharged from Ebola treatment centers in Guinea after successfully beating the Ebola virus. However, Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) emergency teams are facing challenges in tackling the epidemic, with work currently suspended in one of its three Ebola treatment centers.

Ebola has high mortality rates and there is no specific treatment for the virus. However, patients’ chances of survival increase if they receive proper care, including staying hydrated and receiving treatment for secondary infections.

“When the first patient came out from the treatment center, I was so happy and the whole team was cheering,” says Marie-Claire Lamah, a Guinean doctor working in MSF’s Ebola treatment center in Donka hospital in Guinea’s capital of Conakry.

MSF is supporting the Guinean ministry of health in its attempts to stem the outbreak, which has seen 151 suspected cases and 95 deaths to date, according to Guinean health officials.

MSF Activities Suspended in Macenta

In Macenta, in southeast Guinea, MSF activities have been suspended following an incident in which local people threw stones at buildings and vehicles, under the mistaken impression that the disease had been brought into the country by MSF. None of the MSF team was injured in the incident.

The two Ebola patients who were in the treatment center in Macenta remain there under the care of a ministry of health doctor, who has received training from the MSF team over the past 10 days in caring for Ebola victims.

“Of course we understand that the local population is concerned,” says MSF emergency coordinator Henry Gray. “We have seen similar reactions in other countries in the past. In these situations, ensuring that local populations have a good understanding of the disease and its associated risks is key. In Macenta, we had patient awareness teams in place, but it is very difficult to try and inform people in their own language about the virus, and at the same time do everything that is needed to stop the outbreak.”

Negotiations with local authorities are ongoing, and MSF plans to restart its activities in Macenta as soon as possible.

MSF’s activities continue in Guéckédou, another town in southeast Guinea, where MSF has set up an isolation unit. In Conakry, the Ebola treatment center set up by MSF has been expanded from 10 beds to 30, for both high-risk and low-risk patients.

“We currently have eight patients in the facility in Conakry, and we wanted to increase capacity to ensure we have the space if we need it,” says Henry Gray.

In Conakry and elsewhere, MSF and other health organizations are sending teams into the community to trace the contacts of existing Ebola patients to try and track the spread of the disease.

MSF is also working with local communities to ensure that discharged patients who have beaten the virus can return home safely, and that everyone understands they are no longer contagious.

“We know that stigma can be difficult to deal with for patients that have recovered,” says MSF health promoter Ella Watson-Stryker. “We explain to the families and neighbors that the patient is now negative and doesn’t present any risks to anyone—they can be kissed, touched, and hugged without any risk of contagion.”

MSF has some 60 international staff currently working in Guinea, and has flown in more than 40 tons of supplies to tackle the epidemic.

Support in Liberia

After Ebola cases were reported in neighboring Liberia, MSF sent an Ebola specialist to provide training and improve the small isolation unit set up by Liberia’s ministry of health. On April 6, MSF flew in medical supplies and isolation materials from Brussels to the capital, Monrovia, while an MSF team will be on the ground on April 7 to provide further support.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Breaking: Israel Shelling Beit Hanoun Hospital

The Israeli military have started to shell and shoot at Beit Hanoun hospital. There are still 61 medical staff and civilians, three patients and two International Solidarity Movement volunteers trapped inside. More>>

UN: Urgent Action To End Female Genital Mutilation UN: Urgent Action To End Female Genital Mutilation

New UN data shows need for urgent action to end female genital mutilation, child marriage More>>

World News: SRI LANKA: Justice Denied To Two Child Victims Of Rape
There have been reports of an alleged abduction and rape of an eleven-year-old girl by a group of Navy officers, and of another nine-year-old girl treated in a similar manner. More>>

‘Global Epidemic’ Of Anti-Semitism NGO Urges UN To Condemn ‘global Epidemic’ Of Anti-Semitism

French riot police officers face rioters in Sarcelles, a suburb north of Paris, on July 20, 2014. More>>


IDF Falsifies Photograph To Justify Bombing El-Wafa Hospital IDF Falsifies Photograph To Justify Bombing El-Wafa Hospital

On the 21st July at 2:17 PM, the IDF spokesperson released an image on twitter showing an aerial picture of a building marked as ‘Al-Wafa’ hospital. In the image there is a red circle, which they designated as the location from which a M75 rocket was ... More>>

MH17: Black Boxes Recovered by Malaysian Government

'Following the agreement Prime Minister Najib Razak brokered with rebel leaders, Malaysia has taken custody of flight MH17's black boxes. As the Prime Minister said, they will be passed to the international investigation team for analysis. More>>

ALSO:


Gaza Update On 15th Day Of The Israeli Offensive

Dozens of Palestinian Civilians Killed or Wounded as Israeli Forces Attack Apartment Buildings, Mosques, Hospitals and Schools; White Phosphorous Bombs and Flechette Shells Fired by Israeli Forces in Border Areas... More>>

Al Jazeera: Egypt Verdict Defies Logic And Any Semblance Of Justice

Following today’s verdict in Cairo, Al Jazeera English managing director Al Anstey said: “Today three colleagues and friends were sentenced, and will continue behind bars for doing a brilliant job of being great journalists. More>>


Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news