World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


South Sudan: Fighting, Injuries in Restive Unity State

South Sudan: UN Confirms Weekend Fighting, Injuries in Restive Unity State

New York, May 5 2014 - Fighting with heavy and small arms fire resumed today in South Sudan’s Unity state where United Nations peacekeepers are protecting some 23,000 displaced civilians, a UN spokesperson confirmed.

“The UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) says that there was fighting in various parts of the country over the weekend,” said Farhan Haq briefing journalists at UN Headquarters in New York.

In resource-rich Unity state’s capital, Bentiu, the Mission reported heavy fighting between Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) and opposition soldiers, including in the vicinity of a UN base.

“After the Mission engaged with both warring sides, forces left the area last evening,” he said, adding that UNMISS military enforced the perimeter security in the camp before fighting resumed today.

The conflict, which began in mid-December 2013, is believed to have left thousands dead and forced tens of thousands to seek refuge at UN bases around the country. It has also been marked by numerous grave human rights violations. Mid-April also saw an upsurge in the violence, with mass killings in Bentiu and Bor.

Most recently, a four-year-old girl seeking refuge at a UN base died from an injury caused by a stray bullet.

Near Bentiu, UNMISS also reported fighting in the northern city of Tor and close to Mayom Junction in Unity state.

Heavy clashes between the SPLA and opposition forces were also reported yesterday in Renk, at the northern tip of South Sudan, and Nassir, further southeast, in Upper Nile State using “tank and mortar fire, with some of the shells landing close to the UNMISS base there”, according to the spokesperson.

In the South Sudanese, capital, Juba, the Mission reported that peacekeepers fired tear gas to disperse a crowd after a skirmish broke out yesterday between Nuer internally displaced persons and some members of the Dinka community living outside the UN House protection site.

Meanwhile, five construction workers employed as UNICEF contractors to build a temporary learning space for displaced children in UN House were attacked by a group of stone-throwing displaced persons on Friday.

UN military and police peacekeepers were able to control the situation but at least two people were injured.

Back from a visit to South Sudan last week, Adama Dieng, the Secretary-General’s Special Advisor on the Prevention of Genocide and High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay reported a drastic deterioration in the human rights situation in South Sudan, marked by increasing ethnic violence and revenge killings, and urged the Security Council to act before the country plunges deeper into a crisis.

The Council, in December, agreed to increase the number of UNMISS peacekeepers from 7,700 to 13,200. However, the contributing countries have still not supplied some two thirds of the extra troops.

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

South Sudan: UN Agencies Reach More Than Half A Million

South Sudan: UN Agencies Reach More than Half a Million People with Life-Saving Aid More>>

Israeli Plans To Expand Its Illegal Settlement Enterprises

PLO Executive Committee member, Dr. Hanan Ashrawi, strongly denounced Israeli plans to expand its illegal settlement enterprise by approving the construction of 2,561 units in the settlement of Givat Hamatos. More>>

ALSO:

Ecuador: Villagers Plan To Seize Chevron's $106M Arbitral Award

QUITO, ECUADOR, Sep. 30 /CSRwire/ - In what could be a huge boost to their campaign to force Chevron to comply with a $9.5 billion environmental judgment in Ecuador, rainforest villagers plan to enforce a court order directing them to take possession ... More>>

World Grossly Ill-Prepared To Deal Ebola Outbreak

Leaders from Sierra Leone and Liberia, the two countries, along with Guinea at the frontlines of the battle against the unprecedented Ebola outbreak in West Africa, urged the General Assembly today ensure the United Nations mounted a stronger, better coordinated response “to end this grave threat to our collective survival.”More>>

ALSO:

  • Save The Children - Save the Children Builds Its First Ebola Treatment Centre


  • Israel’s Netanyahu Warns Against ‘Militant Islam’

    29 September 2014 – From the podium of the General Assembly today Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned the world of the grave threat he said it faced from militant Islam’s desire to dominate the planet, be they Sunni extremists or ... More>>

    Deputy PM of Syria Victims Of ISIL Brutality 'Waiting On Us To Act'

    As the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) militant began carrying their slaughter in the Middle East, “they might have surprised many of the countries present here, but not…us,” the Deputy Prime Minister of Syria told the United Nations General Assembly, underscoring today that the time has come for the world to stand united and tackle the threat head-on.More>>

    Not A Single Child Untouched By Recent Gaza Conflict

    There is not a single child who has not been adversely affected by the recent conflict in Gaza, where children suffer from bedwetting, difficulties in sleeping, nightmares, a loss of appetite, and display more aggressive behaviour at school, an independent United Nations human rights expert said todayMore>>


    Ebola: UN Readies To Start Work As Death Toll Surpasses 3,000

    Ebola response: medical supplies, including protective equipment and essential medicine, are loaded onto trucks at the Lungi International Airport in Freetown, capital of Sierra Leone. Photo: UNICEF/Sulaiman Stephens More>>

    Get More From Scoop

     
     
     
     
     
    World
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news