World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


Indonesian Troops Fire On PNG Soldiers Along Border

Indonesian Troops Fire On PNG Soldiers Along Border

Tension increases, PNG summons Indonesian Ambassador to protest

Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (PNG Post-Courier, May 5, 2014) – Indonesian troops have opened fire on a PNG Defence Force border patrol, increasing further tension at the Papua New Guinea-Indonesia border.

The flare-up at the border compelled the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Immigration to summon the Indonesian Ambassador Andrias Sitepu to give another protest note, just over a month after the diplomat was issued the first one over similar concerns.

Mr Pato said the note expressed concerns at the developments on the border and condemned the "shooting incident" on the morning of April 19 when Indonesian troops opened fire on a PNGDF patrol.

"While there being no reports of casualties, the Indonesian government should ensure that such incidences do not reoccur in the future," he said.

Despite the protest by Port Moresby, the situation is deteriorating, compelling the Government to ask Indonesia for dialogue to look for a way forward in line with various border treaties the two neighbours have signed over the years.

It is understood the current conflict between elements of the OPM (Operasi Papua Merdeka) and the Indonesian army over the last month and frequent border incursions will be the main focus of a border liaison meeting which will be convened in Indonesia later this week.

The PNGDF top brass at Murray Barracks have remained tight-lipped due to the sensitivity of the issue, though it is understood soldiers deployed to police the border are under strict instructions not to return fire if they engaged or caught in a crossfire between the OPM and members of the Indonesian army.

However, a PNG Government official speaking on condition of anonymity said the April 19 incident could have escalated if a PNGDF soldier was injured when they came under fire.

"It could have been worse if any of our soldiers were injured during the shootout on the morning of April 19, it (the situation) is very sensitive at the moment," he said. The PNG ambassador to Indonesia, Commodore Peter Ilau (retired), will lead the PNG delegation to the border liaison meeting.



© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>


Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>


Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>


At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>



Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>


Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news