World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Boko Haram Warned Over Proposed Sale Of Nigerian Scoolgirls

New York, May 6 2014 2:00PM

UN Rights Office Warns Boko Haram Over Proposed ‘Sale’ Of Nigerian Schoolgirls

The United Nations human rights office today lashed out at the militant group known as Boko Haram which claimed responsibility for kidnapping more than 200 schoolgirls in Nigeria and now, referring to the girls as “slaves”, says it plans to sell them “in the market” and “marry them off”.

“We are deeply concerned about the outrageous claims made in a video believed to be by the leader of Boko Haram in Nigeria yesterday,” Rupert Colville, the spokesman for the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), said in a briefing in Geneva.

“[We] warn the perpetrators that there is an absolute prohibition against slavery and sexual slavery in international law,” the OHCHR spokesperson warned. “These can, under certain circumstances, constitute crimes against humanity.”

He added that there was no statute of limitations for such grave international crimes, including slavery and sexual slavery, “Anyone responsible could be arrested and prosecuted at any time in the future”.

High Commissioner Navi Pillay has condemned the violent abduction of the girls, believed to be between 15 and 18 years old, seized at gunpoint on April 14 after Boko Haram insurgents stormed a school in the north-eastern town of Chibok.

“The girls must be immediately returned, unharmed, to their families,” her spokesperson said.

As for what could be done if Boko Haram does not respect Ms. Pillay’s demands, Mr. Colville said the primary responsibility lay with the Nigerian State, which was “large and strong”, and he stressed that it was “particularly important to ensure greater cooperation among various authorities for the greater good, which was the release of the girls”.

OHCHR has also said that the authorities need to undertake effective measures to protect their people within the remits of international law. Failure to do so would be a violation of human rights.

During a visit to Nigeria earlier this year, Ms. Pillay had said Boko Haram had grown “increasingly monstrous” in its actions. She said that the group is now targeting some people because of their religion and occupation – “and in this case, simply because the girls were enrolled in school”.

The UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF), whose spokesperson Christophe Boulierac was also participating in the briefing, said the agency had underscored in earlier statements that such acts of violence were “absolutely unacceptable, and represented a crime against international law”.

The UN World Food Programme’s (WFP) Elisabeth Byrs added that the right to education was a fundamental one and that “young girls had to be allowed to attend school”, which WFP encourages.

Last year, the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) reported that there is reason to believe that Boko Haram had committed crimes against humanity, referring to reports of murder and persecution.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Palestine: Border Police Extremely Close When They Shot The US Activist

New testimony at final hearing in Tristan Anderson's trial indicates Border Police were extremely close when they shot the US activist in the head More>>

Palestine: Ni’lin Demonstrators Met With Violence

International Solidarity Movement On the 20th of March, during Ni’lin’s weekly Friday demonstration, Israeli occupation forces attacked protestors with about 20 rounds of tear gas canisters shot with the ‘venom’ tear gas launcher mounted on a military jeep ... More>>

ALSO:

UN Envoy Says Yemen On 'Rapid Downward Spiral'

Yemen stands on the brink of civil war amid deepening political tensions and an uptick in sectarian violence, United Nations Special Adviser Jamal Benomar warned today as he explained that only through dialogue could the country achieve a peaceful political transition. More>>


Continued International Support As Vanuatu Recovers

Damage seen on Saturday 14 March 2015 in Port Vila, capital of Vanuatu, after Cyclone Pam moved through the Archipelago. Photo: UNICEF Pacific More>>

UNICEF Rushes Emergency Supplies For Cyclone-Affected Tuvalu

The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) is dispatching emergency life-saving supplies to communities in Tuvalu as part of its efforts to assist communities in the Pacific region that were affected by Tropical Cyclone Pam, with nutrition and hygiene kits arriving today. More>>

Vanuatu: Regenvanu Expects 50% Of People Struck By Pam To Be Homeless

Vanuatu Minister of Lands Ralph Regenvanu says more than 50 percent of those hit by super Cyclone Pam at the weekend are now homeless. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news