World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Secret evidence finally aired in Al Jazeera English trial

Secret evidence finally aired in Al Jazeera English trial

The evidence hitherto withheld by the Egyptian prosecutor in the trial of the three Al Jazeera English journalists has finally been aired in court.

The prosecutor had previously tried to charge the defence $170,000 to access it, but they were forced to exhibit the supposedly incriminating material at today’s latest hearing.

The result was more bizarre scenes in court though. Amongst the items shown to the judge and the court were BBC podcasts and a song by Australian artist Goyte.

Under cross-examination, the official said to have put together the evidence admitted that a clearly edited photo of Mohammed Fahmy which was put on the court’s big screen by the prosecution, was not something he had seen before.

An Al Jazeera spokesman said:

“The charges against our journalists are absurd, there is not a shred of evidence against them. The whole world can see that, and we look forward to the day, hopefully very soon, when they will be free and back doing the jobs they have always carried out with the utmost of integrity.”

The trial was adjourned till 1st June. Peter Greste, Baher Mohammed and Mohammed Fahmy have been held in captivity since 29 December 2013. Abdullah Elshamy of Al Jazeera Arabic has been held even longer, since 14 August 2013.

[END]

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Iraq: Grave Crimes Committed On 'Unimaginable Scale'

Members of an ethnic Yezidi family sleep in the shade in Shekhadi village, Iraq, after fleeing Sinjar. Photo: UNHCR/N. Colt More>>

Lesotho: Concern About Reported Military Takeover In Lesotho

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon voiced concern on Sunday about the reported military takeover in the southern African nation of Lesotho, and called on all parties to resolve their differences peacefully. More>>

ALSO:

Ban Ki Moon:Alarmed At Israel's Announced Seizure Of West Bank Land

1 September 2014 – United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today voiced his alarm at the announcement by Israeli authorities to declare nearly 1,000 acres of land in Bethlehem as so-called “state land.” More>>

Ebola:Response Based On ‘Scientific Evidence, Not On Fear'

Ebola Response Must Be Based on ‘Scientific Evidence, Not on Fear,’ Urge Top UN Officials More>>


UNHCR: More Than 300 Die In Boat Tragedies On Mediterranean

The past few days have been the deadliest this year for people making irregular crossings on the Mediterranean from North Africa to Europe More>>

UN: Egyptian Crossing Used To Bring Food Aid To Gaza
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) successfully crossed from Egypt into the Gaza Strip today, carrying enough food to feed around 150,000 people for five days More>>

ALSO:

Extended Cease Fire: Gaza Celebrates!!!!

Images and video from Gaza.Scoop - Julie Webb Pullman in Gaza. Gazans took to the streets tonight to celebrate their victory in achieving the end of hostilities and the lifting of the illegal seven-year siege. Whatever tomorrow may bring, tonight was a time to rejoice! More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news