World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Prosecution against Al Jazeera Journalists Insubstantial

Prosecution witnesses unable to recall any evidence against jailed Al Jazeera journalists

The committee relied upon by the Egyptian prosecution to provide opinion on the alleged evidence against Al Jazeera English’s three journalists was today cross-examined.

Responding to questions from defence lawyers, members of the technical committee could not recall a single example of what they believed was fabricated coverage from the Al Jazeera team. They also could not proffer an opinion on how national security was endangered either.

One of the committee members also said evidence was later added that was not originally submitted. It was also revealed that a member of the committee was present at the arrests of Mohammed Fahmy and Peter Greste in the Marriott. Defence lawyers argued this called into question his independence as an expert.

This was the eleventh hearing for Peter Greste, Baher Mohammed and Mohammed Fahmy. Previous court dates have been entirely led by the prosecution, and bizarrely included footage being shown of Sky News Arabia tourism reports, BBC podcasts, songs by Gotye, photoshopped images of Mohammed Fahmy, Peter Greste’s family photos, and some of Greste’s award-winning work from East Africa.

An Al Jazeera spokesman said:

“Today’s exchanges were a further blow to the prosecution case. The evidence that has been presented is palpably absurd. The world knows more than ever that our journalists have no case to answer and are completely innocent. We hope this case wraps up very soon with Peter, Baher and Mohamed back with their families and doing the important jobs that they have always carried out with the utmost of integrity.”

The fourth Al Jazeera journalist held, Abdullah Elshamy, is held separately. He has been held without charge since August 14th last year. He has been in solitary confinement for a fortnight amid serious concerns for his health.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On Britain's Pleas For Mercy

So… Boris Johnson is promising that he won't be holding a snap general election, if he's chosen as the next UK Conservative Party leader. Reportedly, he is even making that promise a feature of his leadership campaign, since a vote for Boris would therefore mean (wink wink) that his colleagues wouldn't have to risk their jobs and face the wrath of the British public until 2020. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Aftermath Of Brexit

Be careful of what you ask for. Now that it has woken up from its Brexit victory hangover, is Britain acting as if it has just won the World Cup? Hardly. More>>

ALSO:

UK Labour Statement: The Shooting Of MP Jo Cox

Jeremy Corbyn MP, Leader of the Labour Party said: “The whole of the Labour Party and Labour family - and indeed the whole country - will be in shock at the horrific murder of Jo Cox today. Jo had a lifelong record of public service and a deep commitment to humanity." More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: Rainbow Colours On MFC In Sympathy For Florida Killings
Wellington’s Michael Fowler Centre will be lit in colours of the rainbow Monday as a gesture of support for the LGBTI victims of the Pulse nightclub attack in Orlando, Florida. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On How Obama’s Supreme Court Choice Says Everything (Bad) About His Presidency

Nothing has epitomised the presidency of Barack Obama quite like his Supreme Court nominees. Time and again, Republican presidents will blithely nominate right wing ideological extremists (Antonin Scalia, Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas) who only sometimes misfire and turn out to be liberals in disguise (David Souter). Yet Obama has consistently skipped over the judicially qualified liberals and gone for a succession of centrists... More>>

ALSO:

Turkey: UN Secretary-General On The Terrorist Bombing In Ankara

The Secretary-General condemns the terrorist attack in Ankara earlier today. According to the latest reports, the explosion in the Kizilay district killed and wounded dozens of people. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news