World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


"Huge win for Canadian privacy"

Supreme Court’s historic decision on warrantless disclosures is huge win for Canadian privacy, means govt’s Bill C-13 is unconstitutional in current form

Court ruling vindicates Protect our Privacy Coalition and tens of thousands of Canadians who had been campaigning against warrantless disclosure of their private information


June 13, 2014 – In a landmark decision, the Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that telecom providers cannot hand over their customers’ private information to government authorities without a warrant. The decision has huge implications for Canadians, hundreds of thousands of whom have seen their information obtained by the government, without a warrant, in recent years. It also means that highly controversial and unpopular warrantless disclosure provisions in the government’s Online Spying Bill C-13 are unconstitutional.


The Supreme Court ruled unanimously in R. v. Spencer that Internet users do have a right to keep their subscriber information private. The Court ruled that government requests to telecoms to hand over this information amount to a search and require a warrant. The ruling means that the widespread practice of government authorities acquiring Canadians’ private information form telecom providers without a warrant must now come to an end. Community-based OpenMedia.ca and the Protect our Privacy Coalition have been running a sustained campaign to end warrantless surveillance.


Responding to the news, OpenMedia.ca Executive Director Steve Anderson, said: “This is a historic decision that will protect countless law-abiding Canadians from being unjustly spied on by the government. Tens of thousands of Canadians have worked tirelessly to raise the alarm over how this government has been conducting warrantless surveillance of law-abiding citizens on a massive scale. All along we’ve said the government’s online spying Bill C-13 is reckless and irresponsible and today’s ruling vindicates those concerns. Now the government will finally have to take heed and withdraw their extreme spying provisions from their bill.”


In an article on his website, privacy expert Prof. Michael Geist, said: “The government's plans for expanded voluntary, warrantless disclosure under Bill C-13 must surely be reformed as it is unconstitutional. Just yesterday, Conservative MP Bob Dechert relied on R. v. Ward to support the C-13 approach with respect to immunity for voluntary disclosure. The court has effectively rejected the Ward decision and Dechert's defence of the provision no longer stands.”

Tens of thousands of Canadians have spoken out against the spying provisions of C-13 at http://OurPrivacy.ca

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

UNHCR: More Than 300 Die In Boat Tragedies On Mediterranean

The past few days have been the deadliest this year for people making irregular crossings on the Mediterranean from North Africa to Europe More>>

UN: Egyptian Crossing Used To Bring Food Aid To Gaza
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) successfully crossed from Egypt into the Gaza Strip today, carrying enough food to feed around 150,000 people for five days More>>

ALSO:

Extended Cease Fire: Gaza Celebrates!!!!

Images and video from Gaza.Scoop - Julie Webb Pullman in Gaza. Gazans took to the streets tonight to celebrate their victory in achieving the end of hostilities and the lifting of the illegal seven-year siege. Whatever tomorrow may bring, tonight was a time to rejoice! More>>

ALSO:


Iraq: Killing Of Dozens Of Sunni Worshippers In Eastern Iraq

22 August 2014 – Condemning in the strongest terms the reported attack on a mosque in eastern Iraq, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called on all Iraqi authorities to ensure that the attack is properly investigated and its perpetrators held to account. More>>

ALSO:

  • UN Watch - UN Urgent Session on Iraq, Demands "Concrete Outcomes"
  • UNICEF: Honours Life, Tireless Work Of Richard Attenborough

    Film producer and director Sir Richard Attenborough was introduced as the new Goodwill Ambassador for the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) on 28 October 1987. UN Photo/Milton Grant More>>

    UN: Flight Restrictions Hamper Ability To Battle Ebola

    UNICEF and partners visit a crowded market in Conakry, Guinea, to explain to vendors how they can protect themselves and their families from Ebola. Photo: UNICEF Guinea More>>

    Get More From Scoop

     
     
     
     
     
    World
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news