World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


Hamas and Islamic Jihad Reject Egyptian Brokered Cease-Fire

Hamas and Islamic Jihad Reject Egyptian Brokered Cease-Fire

(From the press)

Al-Aqsa (15 July)
Hamas Spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri on Tuesday morning said that "the retaliations of the resistance will continue until we achieve all the demands of our people, and any unilateral Israeli cease-fire would be worthless".

Reuters (15 July)
Hamas's armed wing, the al-Qassam Brigades, rejected the reported text of the deal announced by Egypt, Gaza's neighbor, saying: "Our battle with the enemy continues and will increase in ferocity and intensity."

Sami Abu Zuhri, a Hamas spokesman in Gaza, repeated its position that demands it has made must be met before it lays down its weapons.

AlJazeera (15 July)
The armed wing of the Palestinian group Hamas has rejected an Egyptian-proposed ceasefire in the Gaza conflict, according to its official website.

The Qassam Brigades said on Tuesday that it was an initiative of "bowing and submission", and added "it was not worth the ink it was written with".

"It is not acceptable to start observing a ceasefire for short term then negotiate the terms. We have experienced this in the past and it has failed," Khaled al-Batch, a senior leader of the Islamic Jihad armed group, said

Egyptian Official TV (15 July)
Hamas representative Mushir Al-Masri said that the on-going fighting is what matters, and added that it's a pity Cairo finds itself in such an embarrassing position. He then argued that this initiative is a "free service given to the Zionists…we are waging this battle in order to gain achievements and not to accept shameful conditions"

Additional PIJ Statement (15 July)
Islamic Jihad spokesman Yussef Al-Hassaina acknowledged that the organization had officially received the Egyptian proposal and was studying it. "There will be no cease-fire unless the agreement includes all our demands… until a decision is reached the fighting will go on".


© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Binoy Kampmark: US Bomb Strikes Hospital In Kunduz

According to US military sources, “there may have been collateral damage” to the medical facility. “This incident is under investigation.” A statement issued by the office of the President Ashraf Ghani said that Army General John Campbell, chief of US-led forces in Afghanistan, apologised. More>>


Binoy Kampmark: The Fall Of Tony Abbott

The question was one of timing. The Coalition had been registering losses in poll after poll. The Abbott style hardly improved after a spill was forced on the party. Despite claiming that he would be ushering in a spring clean, he continued bypassing ministers and MPs... More>>



Pacific.Scoop: Smaller Pacific States Call For Coal Moratorium

PNG Loop: Leaders of the Pacific Smaller Island States have called on all nations – especially the advanced economies in the region – to rise to the challenge of climate change. They want to steer the world on a path where climate change is no longer a threat to earth. More>>


Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news