World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


El-Wafa Hospital is still receiving patients

El-Wafa Hospital is still receiving patients after Israeli missile attack

On 11th July, five Israeli missiles struck el-Wafa hospital, yesterday three new patients arrived requiring treatment.

All of them suffer from head injuries due to Israeli missile attacks and have been transferred from Shifa Hospital to Al-Wafa Rehabilitation Hospital after operations. Now they will stay for rehabilitation until they are well enough to leave.

Emad Jameel Albrdweel, 45, was at home Friday last week when his neighbors’ house was struck by a missile from an Israeli fighter jet.

Shrapnel from the explosion penetrated through his skull and into his brain. He was taken to Shifa Hospital for an operation and, after the shrapnel was successfully removed and the bleeding stopped, he was transferred for rehabilitation at el-Wafa hospital where International Solidarity Movement (ISM) volunteers and other internationals have been maintaining a constant presence since it was struck by Israeli missiles.

“Now there are a total of 17 patients. We will stay here, with all these patients, until Israel no longer is a threat to their lives.” Said Fred Ekblad, Swedish ISM activist.

The two other recently transferred patients share the same story of being indirect targets from Israeli missiles, and are also suffering from severe injuries. All of them were transferred to el-Wafa as Shifa hospital is full of incoming injuries.

“We will stay at the hospital, we will protect our patients, we will protect our nurses. We protect lives, Israel takes life.” Said Basman Alashi, executive director of Al-Wafa Rehabilitation Hospital.

“Things have been mostly quiet for us so far. But that could change quickly. We’re as prepared as possible for any new developments, and will stay here as long as our presence is needed.” Stated U.S. citizen Joe Catron, ISM activist.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:


Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Mexico: Violence And Repression Of Teachers

The member organizations of Network for Peace express our indignation over the acts of repression that the Mexican State has carried out, through the police forces... In Chiapas, Guerrero and Oaxaca, the conflict has resulted in murders of teachers and civilians as well as hundreds of wounded and dozens of people arrested. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Britain's Pleas For Mercy

So… Boris Johnson is promising that he won't be holding a snap general election, if he's chosen as the next UK Conservative Party leader. Reportedly, he is even making that promise a feature of his leadership campaign, since a vote for Boris would therefore mean (wink wink) that his colleagues wouldn't have to risk their jobs and face the wrath of the British public until 2020. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news