World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


UN: Abducted Nigerian schoolgirls not forgotten

Abducted Nigerian schoolgirls not forgotten, UN chief declares as worldwide vigils begin
23 July 2014

Marking 100 days since the brazen abduction of schoolgirls in Chibok, Nigeria, by Boko Haram terrorists, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon reiterated his call for their immediate release, while expressing his full support for the worldwide vigils taking place today.

“I stand in solidarity with all those taking part in vigils today to demonstrate that the world has not forgotten the girls who were so cruelly abducted from their school 100 days ago,” said Mr. Ban in a message.

“I repeat my call for their immediate release and for an end to discrimination, intimidation and violence against girls whose only wish is to gain an education. Only by shielding them from harm and enabling them to realize their full potential can we usher in a better future for all,” he added.

Vigils will be held today around the world to demonstrate solidarity with the Nigerian girls and their families. Supporters in Africa, Asia, Europe and the United States are organising a series of campaigns, including lighting the candles, under the banner #BringBackOurGirls to maximize the visibility for continued global concern.

A wide coalition of organisations, including A World at School and its network of Global Youth Ambassadors and Girls Not Brides leaders, are spreading the campaign’s message. In the Nigerian capital, Abuja, multiple events are organised by the ‘Bring Back Our Girls’ group.

In New York, at 5:30 p.m., supporters will pay tribute to the girls by walking from Nigeria’s UN Mission to the world body’s Headquarters. A World at School is also encouraging people to show their support of the initiative by signing a new online petition which calls for the safe return of the girls.

The UN Special Envoy for Global Education, Gordon Brown, is expected to send the petition to Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan. The Chibok girls' families are also expected to sign the petition and offer their full support for the Safe Schools Initiative. The $23 million programme is designed to pilot 500 safe schools in Nigeria, while bringing the country’s Government and business leaders together with the international community to ensure safe education for all children.

"Girls' rights should be taken seriously and they should be at school free of intimidation and violence. We will mark the 100 days by pledging to rebuild their Chibok school, and by calling for international support for safe schools across Nigeria," stressed Mr. Brown.

The UN envoy urged the international community to stand in solidarity with the kidnapped schoolgirls and “never to abandon them”, while “reminding people that we are in the midst of a global civil rights struggle”.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Ebola Cases Reaching Record Low

Highly contaminated waste is removed from an Ebola Treatment Unit and carried with caution to a disposal area, where it will be fed into an incinerator that burns it into ashes. Photo: WHO/R. Sørensen More>>

South Sudan: Pervasive Violence Against Healthcare

Juba, South Sudan, July 1, 2014 - Violence in hospitals and the destruction of medical facilities are denying medical services to many of South Sudan 's most vulnerable people, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) said today in a report, South Sudan Conflict: ... More>>

ALSO:

  • UN News - UNESCO chief denounces killing of journalists in South Sudan
  • Increasing Demand For Refined Products Will Increase Prices

    In last week's article I posted a chart from the International Energy Agency'srecent Oil Market Report that shows global demand for refined products catching up to supply by the 3rd quarter of this year. My opinion is that all of the analysts who are now ... More>>

    ALSO:

    Terrorist Attack On Hotel In Libyan Capital

    27 January 2015 – The United Nations Security Council today condemned in the strongest terms the deadly terrorist attack against the Corinthia Hotel in Tripoli, Libya, and underlined the need to bring the perpetrators, financiers and sponsors of such ... More>>

    ALSO:

    Malawi In Urgent Need After Intense Flooding

    Torrential rains in Malawi have caused dozens of deaths, with hundreds of people still missing. Photo: UNDP/Arjan van de Merwe More>>

    Lack Of Funding Hampering Aid To Syria

    Deputy Emergency Relief Coordinator Kyung-wha Kang briefs the Security Council on the situation in Syria. UN Photo/Eskinder Debebe More>>

    Spy Agency CSE Is Monitoring Our Private Online Activities

    Breaking - Spy agency CSE is monitoring our private online activities on a massive scale and sharing sensitive data with other governments More>>

    UN ‘blue Helmet’ Killed Near Lebanon-Israel Cross-Fire

    28 January 2015 – A United Nations peacekeeper with the UN Interim Force in Lebanon ( UNIFIL ) was killed today near the border with Israel but the precise cause of death is as yet undetermined and remains the subject of investigation, according ... More>>

    ALSO:


    Get More From Scoop

     
     
     
     
     
    World
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news