Lebanese Newspaper Reports on Iranian Support for Hamas
24 July 2014
A Lebanese newspaper reports on renewed Iranian support for Hamas terrorism
1. Al-Safir - a pro-Syrian regime Lebanese newspaper with links to Hizbullah - reported [22 July] on renewed Iranian support of Hamas "resistance" (terrorism). This despite the recent rift between Hamas and Iran due to their differences over the civil war in Syria.
Iranian support might assist Hamas' efforts to end its international and regional isolation as well as its post-Operation Protective Edge military and economic rehabilitation.
2. Following is a translation of the relevant paragraphs from the article:
• "It is obvious to all that the [Palestinian Islamic] Jihad movement played a central role in bringing the points of view of Hamas, Tehran and Hizbullah closer these last months. This resulted not only in a phone conversation between [Hizbullah leader Hassan] Nasrallah and [Hamas Chairman of the Political Bureau] Khaled Mashaal, but also in contacts between three Iranian senior [officials] with Mashaal. Chairman of the Iranian Parliament, Dr. Ali Larijani, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Muhammad Jawad Zarif, and a senior officer of the Revolutionary Guards – all contacted Mashaal within a few days.
• These contacts were marked by their positive content and by the reopening of Tehran's gates wide open to Abu al-Walid [Khaled Mashaal], according to sources following the events. This indicated that the three Iranian officials have confirmed to Mashaal that Tehran supports the resistance in Palestine, and that it is ready to send out all forms of assistance to face the Israeli hostility against Gaza. In addition, they praised the performance of the resistance's factions and the surprises they presented, which restored trust in their role and especially in Hamas' role."
3. Link to the original article in Arabic: