World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Clashes in north-western CAR cause renewed displacement

Clashes in north-western Central African Republic cause renewed displacement – UN

8 August 2014

Fighting from 30 to 31 July in Batangafo, Central African Republic (CAR) has caused renewed displacement, according to Jens Laerke of the UN’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

With skirmishes between ex-Séléka and anti-Balaka elements leaving some 20,000 people displaced in town and thousands more on major roads in the region, he told reporters in Geneva today that an inter-agency assessment mission has been deployed to visit Batangafo early next week.

“Additionally, clashes on 4 August again affected the humanitarian situation and hindered humanitarian access to those people,” reported Mr. Laerke.

Anti-balaka and Séléka have been embroiled in fighting since the latter were ousted from power in January 2014 – with inter-communal retaliatory attacks continuing to fuel the conflict.

The fighting has left over half the population – 2.5 million people – in need of humanitarian assistance with an estimated 527,000 people still internally displaced, including 102,000 internally displaced persons in the capital, Bangui.

Mr. Laerke quoted CAR’s Senior Humanitarian Coordinator Claire Bourgeois, who issued a statement saying: “We call on all parties involved in the fighting to respect the civilian population and humanitarian agencies trying to help them.”

Ms. Bourgeois also called for a return to peace in line with the spirit of the recent Brazzaville ceasefire accord.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Ukraine: Minsk Peace Accords Must Be Revived

Jeffrey Feltman, Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs, addresses the Security Council on the situation in Ukraine. UN Photo/Eskinder Debebe More>>

ALSO:

Connie Lawn: Middle East Turmoil

There is always turmoil in the Mid East but at this time three major developments have broken at the same time. In Saudi Arabia 91 year old King Abdullah has died... In Yemen, the President and his top advisors have resigned. More>>

ALSO:

Russia Supports Indonesia`s Possible Move To Buy Sukhoi 35

Jakarta (ANTARA News) - The Russian government supports Indonesias wish to buy the multipurpose fighter jet Sukhoi 35 to enhance the countrys air force. More>>


Economy: International Monetary Fund Downgrade Global Growth Forecast

20 January 2015 – Despite a sharp decline in oil prices, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in its latest economic outlook today lowered growth expectations for this year and the next for most countries due to slowdown in investment, and urged governments ... More>>

ALSO:


UN Rights Expert Cancels Visit To Palestinian Territory

Israel’s lack of cooperation leads to cancelled visit by UN rights expert to the occupied Palestinian territory More>>

Pentagon To Deploy 400 Troops To Train Syrian Rebels

Rebel fighters take positions behind sand barricades at al-Breij frontline, after what they said was an advance by them in al-Manasher and al-Majbal areas, where forces loyal to Syria's President Bashar al-Assad were stationed, in Aleppo January 5, 2015. ... More>>

ALSO:

U.S. Eases Sanctions On Export Of Tech To Cuba

Washington — Today, the Department of Treasury and Department of Commerce officially released the anticipated changes to the Cuban Assets Control Regulations (CACR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR) , reforms announced last year by President ... More>>

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news