World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


PNG: Journalist Arrested for Betelnut Joke About Police

PNG: Journalist Arrested for Betelnut Joke About Police

Papua New Guinea's popular betelnut ...
topic of a police "bribery" joke. Image: PMC archive

Monday, August 11, 2014

PORT MORESBY (Pacific Media Watch / PNG Loop): A Port Moresby broadcast journalist has been arrested and charged with "broadcasting misleading information".

The 30-year-old Western Highlands journalist, who has not been named, will appear in court this week.

He reportedly made a joke on air "about how motorists can bribe police with betelnut and coke", the PNG Loop news websitereported.

NCD Metropolitan police commander Andy Bawa told the news website that "media personalities should refrain from making unsubstantiated comments or jokes that could be detrimental to regional and national operations".

Bawa said he would also tell media houses to "be more strict about their on-air content".

PNG Loop said the radio presenter had said there was no major report about the joint Australian Federal Police and Royal PNG Constabulary police operations.

The 30 year old from the Western Highlands went on air last week stating that there was no major report about the joint Australian Federal Police and Royal PNG Constabulary police operations. - See more at:

The PNG police have previously intimidated and even assaulted journalists. In 2012, a journalist was assaulted and threatened with being blown up with a hand grenade by police in Port Moresby after his newspaper, the Post-Courier, published a story about gun-wielding policemen who chased landowners on its front page.

And earlier this year, EMTV journalists Quinton Alomp and Gesoko Adrian were manhandled and punched while reporting on allegations that police had stabbed five civilians during a land dispute.

After manhandling the journalists, the police locked them up, tore out their notes and demanded that they delete all photos. The journalists were only released after their driver phoned TV station management who then demanded that the police release them.


© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>


Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>


Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>


At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>



Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>


Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news