World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


In phone call with President, Ban talks Ukraine crisis

In phone call with President, Ban expresses ‘increasing concern’ about Ukraine crisis

14 August 2014

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has spoken with Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko, reiterating his urgent call to redouble political and diplomatic efforts towards a peaceful resolution in the crisis-torn country.

In a telephone call last night, Mr. Ban told Mr. Poroshenko that he “has continued to follow the crisis in Ukraine closely and with increasing concern,” according to a UN spokesperson.

The Secretary-General also expressed hope that there will be tangible progress in implementing the President’s peace plan which was announced in June. According to media reports, the peace plan involves proposals for decentralizing power, holding early elections, and creating a buffer zone on the Ukrainian-Russian border.

Mr. Ban also offered the support of the Organization, in coordination with international partners, to aid the humanitarian situation.
In Eastern Ukraine, fighting in and around population centres has resulted in heavy loss of life and very significant damage to property and civilian infrastructure.

Briefing the Security Council last week by videoconference, Ivan Šimonović, UN Assistant Secretary-General for Human Rights, also said that the human rights situation has deteriorated significantly in pockets of territory in Luhansk and Donetsk, which are controlled by armed groups and where the Government has been undertaking its security operations.

He noted that the “rapid professionalization of armed groups, which are increasingly well-organized and equipped with heavy weaponry.”

According to the UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission and the World Health Organization (WHO) since mid-April, more than 1,543 people have been killed in the east, including civilians, the military and members of the armed groups. Some 4,396 have been confirmed wounded but the real number is likely to be much higher.

Media accounts say a large Russian aid convoy is headed toward a border crossing controlled by armed groups in Luhansk.
Kiev has threatened to block the convoy if the cargo is not be inspected, and announced that it plans to send its own humanitarian aid shipment.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

The White House: Charting A New Course On Cuba

We are separated by 90 miles of water, but brought together through the relationships between the two million Cubans and Americans of Cuban descent that live in the United States, and the 11 million Cubans who share similar hopes for a more positive future for Cuba. More>>

ALSO:


Journalist Most Recent Victim Of Israeli Military

Bashar, a journalist from Palestine TV, was shot in the left leg at Kufr Qaddum on Friday the 5th of December 2014. More>>

ALSO:

  • Palestinian Centre For Human Rights - Swiss government’s bid to convene a summit on Palestine
  • UN News - UN-backed reconstruction efforts continue in Gaza
  • UNICEF Mobilizes To Reach People Affected By Typhoon

    As Typhoon Hagupit wreaks havoc through the Philippines, UNICEF is acting quickly to support the Filipino government’s response to the emergency, providing lifesaving supplies and services for children and women in the areas hardest hit by cyclone-force ... More>>

    ALSO:

  • FAO - FAO praises government for early typhoon warnings
  • Security Council Demands End To LRA Attacks In Africa

    A Congolese refugee at an emergency school in Obo, Haut-Mbomou, Central African Republic, (CAR) after fleeing attacks by the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA). Photo: OCHA/Lauren Paletta More>>

    UN Condemns Botswana’s Treatment Of Bushmen

    The UN Special Rapporteur on cultural rights has voiced concerns over Botswana's evictions of the Bushmen in the name of wildlife conservation. The United Nations’ Special Rapporteur on cultural rights has condemned Botswana’s treatment of Africa’s ... More>>

    UN Congratulates Frontline Ebola Response Workers

    10 December 2014 – The United Nations today congratulated the front line workers in the field battling Ebola on their well-deserved recognition as Time “Person of the Year,” while countries affected by the outbreak and their partners met to ... More>>

    ALSO:

    World United States: US Must Now Recover Moral High Ground In Torture Allegations

    Mr. Juan Mendez, Special Rapporteur on Torture, Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment. UN Photo/Rick Bajornas More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     
     
     
     
     
    World
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news