World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

UN confirms handover of US journalist Peter Theo Curtis

UN confirms handover of US journalist Peter Theo Curtis

24 August 2014

The United Nations has confirmed that an American freelance journalist, reportedly held captive for nearly two years by militants in Syria, was freed on Sunday in a handover to UN peacekeepers in the Golan Heights, who then released him to United States officials.

A note to correspondents issued by the UN Spokesperson's Office confirmed that the Organization had facilitated the handover of journalist Peter Theo Curtis.

“He was handed over to UN peacekeepers in Al Rafid village, Quneitra, the Golan Heights, at 6:40 p.m. (local time) on 24 August 2014. After receiving a medical check-up, Mr. Curtis was handed over to representatives of his Government,” the brief note concluded.

According to media reports, Mr. Curtis, a 45-year-old freelance journalist from Boston, was abducted near the Syria-Turkey border in October 2012. He was reportedly being held by the Al-Nusra Front, an Al-Qaida affiliate, which, along with Islamic State (IS) militants, were recently targeted by the UN Security Council, which adopted a wide-ranging resolution naming six individuals from the groups to its sanctions list.

In addition, just two days ago, the Council strongly condemned the “heinous and cowardly” murder of James Foley, also an American journalist, by IS militants and demanded the immediate, safe and unconditional release of all other hostages.

“This incident is a tragic reminder of the increasing dangers journalists face every day in Syria. It also once again demonstrates the brutality of [IS], which is responsible for thousands of abuses against the Syrian and Iraqi people,” the Council said in a statement to the press.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Werewolf: Gordon Campbell On North Korea, Neo-Nazism, And Milo

With a bit of luck the planet won’t be devastated by nuclear war in the next few days. US President Donald Trump will have begun to fixate on some other way to gratify his self-esteem – maybe by invading Venezuela or starting a war with Iran. More>>

Victory Declared: New Stabilisation Funding From NZ As Mosul Is Retaken

New Zealand has congratulated the Iraqi government on the successful liberation of Mosul from ISIS after a long and hard-fought campaign. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Current US Moves Against North Korea

If Martians visited early last week, they’d probably be scratching their heads as to why North Korea was being treated as a potential trigger for global conflict... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Lessons From Corbyn’s Campaign

Leaving partisan politics aside – and ignoring Jeremy Corbyn’s sensational election campaign for a moment – it has to be said that Britain is now really up shit creek... More>>

ALSO:

Another US Court: Fourth Circuit Rules Muslim Ban Discriminatory

ACLU: Step by step, point by point, the court laid out what has been clear from the start: The president promised to ban Muslims from the United States, and his executive orders are an attempt to do just that. More>>

ALSO: