World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


Yemeni-led political process only peaceful exit to crisis

Consensual, Yemeni-led political process only peaceful exit to current crisis: UN envoy

26 August 2014

The United Nations envoy to Yemen today expressed concern over the high level of unrest in the country which he says is probably the most serious since the beginning of the political transition in 2011.

Briefing reporters in the capital, Sana’a, Jamal Benomar said that in recent weeks he had been in consultations with various political leaders, trying to facilitate negotiations and help reach consensus on a peaceful solution to the current crisis.

“[All parties in Yemen] should be aware that there is no exit other than through a peaceful, consensual solution, in accordance with the outcomes of the National Dialogue Conference (NDC), which was agreed upon by all Yemenis and supported by the Security Council in its resolution 2140,” said Mr. Benomar, the Secretary-General’s Special Adviser for Yemen.

Reiterating his call for all parties to refrain from taking steps that could threaten peace, Mr. Benomar said they must reject the use of violence to achieve political goals, as stipulated in Security Council resolutions.

“If the parties really seek the higher interest of Yemen and want to avoid the worst, they must put aside partisan interests. With these factors in place, I am confident that a peaceful solution to the crisis can be reached,” he added.

Mr. Benomar, who is scheduled to brief the Security Council this Friday on the latest developments, said that he is confident the Council will continue to support with one voice peaceful change in Yemen.

“However, Yemenis should, at the same time, look to themselves to solve their problems…As I said during the events of 2011, the solution will not come from outside. It can only be Yemeni, and through a Yemeni-led political process.”

For its part, the State must be able to exercise its full authority over all its territory, he said. In addition, political and media escalation, and sectarian and regional incitement campaigns should stop. There should be serious and credible negotiations. All parties need to maintain a spirit of national partnership, good faith, and wisdom, he stated.

He also commended the work of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) which “has not spared any efforts in support of the political settlement” since they launched the GCC initiative.

Yemen has recently emerged from a complex UN-backed transition, but recent months have been marked by violence and unrest in some parts of the country. In mid-July, amid what it characterized as a “serious deterioration in the security situation” due to ongoing violence in the north-west, the Security Council demanded that all armed groups disarm, withdraw and relinquish control of [the city of] Amran.

In 2011, the country was on the brink of an all-out civil war, paralyzed by a political and security cri¬sis, in a region swelling with protests against authoritarian regimes.

Mr. Benomar today said that the political settlement in Yemen, including the National Dialogue Conference, is “a unique model amongst the Arab Spring countries” in that it is supported by the international community, and is guiding similar processes in several countries.


© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>


Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>


Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>


At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>



Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>


Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news