11 Members of Turkish Medical Association (TTB) Detained
11 members of the Turkish Medical Association’s (TTB) Central Council members including TTB President Prof. Dr. Raşit Tükel, Sezai Berber, Sinan Adıyaman, Selma Güngör, Şeyhmus Gökalp, Hande Arpat, Ayfer Horasan, Taner Gören, Funda Obuz, Yaşar Ulutaş and Nazım Yılmaz were detained this morning (30 January 2017) in Ankara, İstanbul, Diyarbakır and Eskişehir after their houses and workplaces were searched by the police over their statement on 24 January 2018 criticising the Turkish military’s “Operation Olive Branch” in Syrian lands saying that “War is problem of public health”.
Established in 1953, the Turkish Medical Association (TTB) is a chamber of medical doctors in Turkey. The TTB aspires to defend the rights of doctors, represent for the profession of medical doctors and protect the ethic codes, contribute to medical education, improve and disseminate public health in Turkey. Its membership covers almost 60% of Turkey’s doctors with their members around 85.000 and it is affiliated to the World Medical Association.
After their statement, the TTB was targeted by the President of the Republic Recep Tayyip Erdogan calling them “terror supporters” and the Government especially by the Ministry of Health Ahmet Demircan stating that “the TTB does not represent the doctors in Turkey”. The Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office issued detention warrants at least for 7 days for the 11 members of the council in the morning of 30 January 2018 on the grounds that “making propaganda for terrorist organisation” and “instigating people towards grudge and hostility” in line with the 3713 numbered Anti-terror Law.
• Human Rights Association (IHD) calls on the Turkish Authorities to immediately and unconditionally release the members of the TTB’s Central Council as their detention is completely arbitrary.
• IHD calls on the domestic and international human rights mechanisms to create pressure on Turkish authorities for their immediate and unconditional release and protection of their physical and psychological integrity together with their safety of life and property.
Addresses of Turkish
• President of the Republic, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Cumhurbaşkanlığı Külliyesi 06560 Beştepe - Ankara, Phone: (+90) 312 525 55 55, Fax: (+90 312) 525 58 31, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Prime Minister of Turkey, Binali Yıldırım, Ziaur Rahman Cad. Çankaya/Ankara Phone: +90 (312) 403 50 00, 422 10 00; Fax +90 (312) 403 62 82 Email: email@example.com
• Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu, Dr. Sadık Ahmet Cad, No: 8 Balgat / Ankara – Turkey 06100; Phone : +90 (312) 292 10 00
• Minister of Justice, Mr. Abdülhamit GÜL, 06659 Kizilay, Ankara; Phone: +90 (312) 417 77 70; Fax: +90 (0312) 419 33 70; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org • Minister of Health, Mr. Ahmet Demircan,Kültür Mah. İçel Sokak No: 2, 06420 Kızılay - Çankaya / ANKARA; Phone: +90 (312) 585 67 00 - 01; email@example.com