Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Waihi Home Owners Offered Deal

Issued by Hauraki District Council
31 October 2002.

NEWS RELEASE
For immediate release

Waihi Home Owners Offered Deal

Hauraki District Council tonight released details of a package to be offered to 27 private residential property owners affected by risk from the old abandoned mine workings.

Mayor Basil Morrison told more than 80 people at a meeting at Waihi that Government and the Newmont Waihi Operations had agreed to fund the package.

The market value of the 27 properties is around $3 million.

Approval for Government’s contribution to the package came from a meeting of a cabinet sub-committee in Wellington earlier in the day.

The first group of property owners to be offered the package are within the high, medium and low risk zones of the Royal and Empire Lodes and includes several properties on the margins of these zones.

Mr Morrison said the package provided the property owners an opportunity to accept full market value for their homes.

The market value would be based on valuation of properties prior to the release of the Risk Assessment report commissioned by the Council.

Property owners could also choose to have their homes relocated elsewhere in Waihi.

In addition to the physical cost of relocation, the owners would also receive an ex-gratia payment of $2,000 and a further $500 towards legal expenses, as provided for under the Public Works Act.

Mr Morrison said residents in the medium and low risk zones could also choose to remain in their homes and accept the risks involved.

The final option was for owners to reject the package and to consider independent action.

Properties sold are to be transferred into the ownership of the mining company with a longer term view of being incorporated for recreational purposes into the final mine closure plans.

The affected property owners are expected to receive individual offers shortly.

Mr Morrison acknowledged the help of Associate Minister on Energy, Harry Duynhoven, appointed by Government to manage negotiations with the District Council and the mining company.

He also thanked the mining company for its willingness to contribute to the package.

Meanwhile, council’s general manager, Langley Cavers, said exploratory drilling is continuing above the Edward Lode where a further 33 properties are possibly affected.

Nineteen of these properties are in the high to medium risk zones, 12 of which are residential with 6 in private ownership. Five business properties are also involved.

Mr Cavers said that the future of these properties would not be known for several weeks.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On That $4 Billion Hit To National’s Economic Cred

National released its economic and tax policy last Friday. Weirdly, the plan was announced right at the end of the news week, when whatever impact it managed to generate would be likely to dissipate over the weekend. Well…. that now seems all for the best. The plan is now known to have a $4 billion hole in it. Apparently, National used outdated figures for the amount it stood to save from NOT paying into the Super Fund. Amusingly, the $4 billion mistake was almost exactly the same size as the $4.7 billion that National still promises to give away in tax cuts... More>>

 

PM: Auckland At Bolstered Level 2, Rest Of Country Provisionally At Level 1

Pandemic alert levels for the whole country have been reviewed by Cabinet and Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is announcing whether restrictions will be eased. More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Supporting Workers And Valuing Their Contribution

Making sure working New Zealanders are safe, healthy and that their contribution to the economy is valued is at the heart of Labour’s Workplace Relations Policy.
“This is Labour demonstrating its commitment to helping working New Zealanders by increasing sick leave, raising wages, protecting them while they are at work, growing jobs and investing in the economy,”... More>>

ALSO:

PREFU: Economy Doing Better Than Forecast

The Pre-election Economic and Fiscal Update released today shows that the near-term economic recovery has been stronger than the Treasury and many economists predicted at the May Budget, as the economy bounced back strongly out of lockdown... More>>

ALSO:


PM Statement: Cabinet COVID-19 Alert Level Review

Takiri mai te ata, ka ao, ka ao, ka awatea, tihei mauriora! Tātou katoa ngā iwi o Aotearoa, tēnā koutou! Tēnā tātou e whakanuia ana i te wiki nei, te wiki o te reo Māori Greeting to you all from Otepoti, Dunedin. This week is the Māori ... More>>

ALSO:


Electoral Commission: Candidate And Party Lists Released

17 registered political parties and 677 candidates will be contesting the 2020 General Election Nominations have now closed and the Electoral Commission has released the electorate and party list candidates for 2020 online at vote.nz . Advance voting ... More>>

National: Plan To Restore NZ’s Prosperity

National’s Economic and Fiscal Plan carefully balances the need to invest in infrastructure and core public services while also reducing tax pressure on Kiwi families and businesses. National Leader Judith Collins and Finance spokesperson Paul Goldsmith unveiled National’s ... More>>

ALSO:

NZ First: Party List

New Zealand First has a proven twenty-seven-year history of bringing balance and common sense to our government. Amid the continued setbacks of COVID-19 restrictions, New Zealand First has once again sustained its profile by selecting a strong team ... More>>

Election: Arriving Travellers In Isolation To Be Able To Vote By Telephone

Up to 5,000 people in managed isolation or quarantine will be able to vote by telephone in the general election and referendums after an amendment to electoral regulations last week. Chief Electoral Officer Alicia Wright says the Electoral Commission sought ... More>>

National: Investing In Our Children’s Future

A National Government will prioritise lifting achievement for all New Zealand children, no matter their background or ability, National Party Leader Judith Collins and National’s Education spokesperson Nicola Willis say. “Parents just want what’s best for ... More>>

 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 


 

InfoPages News Channels