Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Man jailed for five months for bush clearance

media statement Friday 31 October 03

Waitakere Man jailed for five months for repeated
illegal bush clearance and earthworks

In a New Zealand first, a Waitakere City man has been sent to jail for clearing protected native bush and undertaking earthworks, without resource consent and while subject to a court order to stop the work.

Andrew and Susan Borrett of 49 Sunnyvale Road Red Hills, were found guilty by a Jury for the second time since 1999, of charges related to clearing, large areas of native bush which had the highest level of protection possible under the Waitakere City District Plan – and for unauthorised earthworks. They were also found guilty of charges related to, breaches of Environment Court Enforcement orders.

Mr Borret was charged with undertaking the offences and Mrs Borrett with permitting the offences.

Environment Court Judge Fred McElrea this week jailed Andrew Borrett for 20 weeks, saying Mr Borrett needed to “experience the inside of prison to understand the full reality of his offending.”

The Judge also declined Mr Borrett the opportunity for home detention, partly on the basis that his home property was where the offending had taken pace.
It is believed to be the first time anyone has been jailed for this type of offence in New Zealand.

Mr Borrett had chosen trial by jury - and was found guilty on five out of seven charges. His wife Susan was found guilty on four out of seven charges.

Judge McElrea imposed fines and costs on the couple amounting to $17,500.

In 1999, the Borretts pleaded guilty to similar charges involving large scale bush clearance and earth works. On that occasion fines and costs totalling $18,000 were imposed on them.

On the most recent occasion the work included the widening of a road through an area of significant native vegetation about 150 metres in length

On both occasions the Borretts had been subject to an interim enforcement order, imposed by the Environment Court, to prevent further illegal bush clearance and earthworks.

Councillor Penny Hulse, chair of Waitakere City Council’s Environmental Management Committee said that she hoped the sentences would have a salutary effect on people thinking of breaching the Resource Management Act.

“The Environment Court has been sending increasingly strong signals that it intends to deter this sort of environmental vandalism and frankly, while it shouldn’t be necessary to send people to jail, Mr Borrett has only himself to blame.

“I sincerely hope he will be the first and last person to be jailed because other people realise it’s just not worth the risk to wilfully and illegally damage the environment,” she says.

Prepared by Dai Bindoff for Councillor Hulse. Robert Enright legal adviser

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Covid-19: Covid Alert Level 2 in Wellington till the end of the week


The Wellington region will move to alert level 2 from 6pm tonight until 11.59pm on Sunday.
The announcement comes after a person who travelled from Sydney to Wellington tested positive for the virus upon their return.... More>>

ALSO:




 
 



Environment: Bringing Back The Health Of Hauraki Gulf

New marine protection areas and restrictions on fishing are among a raft of changes being put in place to protect the Hauraki Gulf for future generations.
The new strategy, Revitalising the Gulf – Government action on the Sea Change Plan, released today... More>>

ALSO:

NZ First Returns: Winston Peters - AGM Address

Ladies and gentlemen, it’s a pleasure to be in Auckland for the 28th New Zealand First Party Conference. It is our intention and mission to remain the most successful political party outside of National and Labour in the last three decades... More>>



Government: New Members Appointed To Waitangi Tribunal

Minister for Māori Development, Hon Willie Jackson, today announced the appointment of three new members to the Waitangi Tribunal and the reappointment of one existing member to the Waitangi Tribunal... More>>

NZNO: Nurses Reject DHB Offer And Confirm Strike Action

The New Zealand Nurses Organisation says its 30,000 members who work in DHBs have voted overwhelmingly to reject a second offer in their current round of multi-employer collective agreement (MECA) negotiations... More>>

ALSO:


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels