Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search


Marina issue should be about access than ownership

Waitakere says marina issue should be more about access than ownership

Waitakere City Council has voted to support the retention of the Westhaven Marina in public control in perpetuity, as long as it is providing commercial benefit to the region.

The marina has been put up for sale by international tender by Ports of Auckland Limited (POAL), as it "no longer represents an investment in the core business strategy of the company". At present, Infrastructure Auckland holds 80 per cent of POAL's shares on behalf of Aucklanders, with the remaining 20 per cent owned by private investors.

North Shore City Council is leading the campaign for the marina to be owned and managed as a public facility and has asked Waitakere to support its stance.

At a special council meeting, Waitakere councillors agreed that public control of the marina is important for ensuring continued public access. However, they expressed concern about the possibility of the region being locked into public ownership of a commercial liability that would cost ratepayers money.

The Council recommended that its representative on the Infrastructure Auckland Electoral College, Deputy Mayor Carolynne Stone, call for a comprehensive report, exploring all the possible long-term ownership options for Ports of Auckland shareholding.

The issue is also likely to be raised at today’s meeting of the Auckland Mayoral Forum, where Waitakere City Mayor Bob Harvey and North Shore City Mayor George Wood will argue the case with their counterparts.

“While we believe public access to recreational areas, such as the Westhaven Marina, is important, we wouldn’t want to be locked into public ownership if that ownership became a liability,” says Councillor Stone.

“We should ensure that public control of the marina brings commercial benefit to the region. There is little point in owning a marina to allow a few people to walk down there and eat their sandwiches, if it’s going to cost ratepayers money to keep it.”

© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The Compelling Case For Meatless Meat

Talk about living in a bubble. As vegetarianism and veganism become normalised – there are more options on restaurant menus! - it can be easy to think that the whole world is gradually giving up on meat. Alas, the reverse is true. Americans for instance consumed 100 kilograms of meat and poultry in 2018, up from 75 kilograms in 1960, according to the US Department of Agriculture figures... More>>


Pay Policy: CTU Public Service Unions Meet With Public Service Minister

The Council of Trade Unions and affiliated public service unions, met with the Minister for the Public Service Hon Chris Hipkins this afternoon to discuss the pay expectations of those working in our public services. CTU President Richard Wagstaff said it was ... More>>

Government: Further Action Against Gang Crime

The Government will make it illegal for high risk people to own firearms by introducing Firearms Prohibition Orders (FPOs) that will strengthen action already taken to combat the influence of gangs and organised crime to help keep New Zealanders and their ... More>>


Maori Party: Whakatōhea High Court Decision

“We applaud the Whakatōhea High Court case that has now set a precedent for Māori rights and interest in their foreshore and seabed. It’s an outstanding decision because the Court recognises all reclaimed lands with significant and boating traffic” ... More>>


PM: Statement On The Speaker And Annual Review Debate

“The serious issue of alleged sexual assault and harassment at Parliament was poorly managed and inappropriately politicised last night. The tone of the debate did not reflect well on Parliament as a whole,” Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said. ... More>>

Parliament: Mallard Fails To Give Taxpayers A Straight Answer

Trevor Mallard has confirmed he is unfit to be Parliament’s Speaker by failing to answer several important questions relating to the false rape accusation saga that cost taxpayers more than $330,000, Shadow Leader of the House Chris Bishop says. ... More>>

Local Government: Independent Review To Explore Future

Local Government Minister Nanaia Mahuta says an independent review of local government will explore how councils can maintain and improve the wellbeing of New Zealanders in the communities they serve long into the future. More>>


PM Ardern And PM Morrison: Commencement Of Two-Way Quarantine-Free Travel Between Australia And New Zealand

Joint Statement by Prime Ministers Scott Morrison and Jacinda Ardern Commencement of two-way quarantine-free travel between Australia and New Zealand Today, Australia and New Zealand have fulfilled their commitment to establish two-way quarantine free ... More>>




InfoPages News Channels