Waitakere: Water polo players taken to hospital
11 December 2006
Waitakere investigates after water polo players taken to hospital
Waitakere City Council is investigating why a number of young water polo players were taken ill after playing in the West Wave Aquatic Centre yesterday.
The affected players were all affected by respiratory conditions but the chlorine in the pools was at a level requested by an Environmental Health Officer from the Medical Officer of Health.
The main competition pool where the water polo was played is closed today for further testing, but the council believes it will re-open tomorrow.
"We are deeply concerned for the welfare of the youngsters who were affected and we are taking the matter seriously - our investigation will be thorough. We have had people working on possible explanations since yesterday but so far have not come to any definite conclusions," says Dai Bindoff, Public Affairs Manager for the council.
"All we can say at this time is that we know the water is at a very high quality and the levels of treatment are normal and well within national guidelines," he says.