Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Queenstown’s latest thrill activity ready to open

Media release from AJ Hackett Bungy New Zealand

13 November 2008

 

The wait is over - Queenstown’s latest thrill activity ready to open

Iconic tourism pioneer AJ Hackett Bungy New Zealand is launching Queenstown’s latest thrill activity.

The world leader in challenge and adventure will open the high velocity Nevis Arc – the highest swing in the world -- this Friday 14 November.

The Nevis Arc, a 120m, 125kmh ‘swing’ in the heart of wild and rugged Central Otago, will be accessed from a 70m-long walkway and launch pad suspended over the Doolan’s Creek Gorge spanning the Horn and Carrick mountain ranges, alongside the world-famous 134m Nevis Highwire Bungy.

In a huge feat of engineering and technology innovation, 150 tonnes of concrete was poured into anchor blocks drilled deep into the hillside either side of the gorge, from which four 550m-long cables have been suspended to hold the walkway and launch pad.

“The wait is finally over for everyone in the company who has visualized and worked on this multi-million-dollar project for more than two years,” said AJ Hackett Bungy New Zealand founder Henry van Asch.

“The anticipation amongst those in the adventure tourism industry in Queenstown and throughout New Zealand has been tremendous, and there’s no doubt the Nevis Arc will join the Nevis Highwire Bungy as one of the ‘must-do’ thrill and adventure activities in New Zealand.

“I guarantee people will be blown away – you’ll accelerate six – and – a - half seconds towards rock faces and reach speeds of 125kmh or more.

“People will swing out over the valley in a massive arc of 80m or 120m, depending on the ‘fear level’ they’ve chosen, and they can do it forwards, backwards, alone or with a friend.

“It will be extreme and exhilarating all at once.”

A brand new, architecturally-designed 220sqm rural-urban style base building has been built between Nevis Highwire Bungy and Nevis Arc to cater for thrillseekers.

The sunny glass-panelled building maximises views of the unique landscape and adventure activities, and houses internet kiosks boasting latest model iMacs for people to instantly upload their jump or arc images and share them with friends and family around the world.

“We envisage that the Nevis area will become an adventure tourism destination in its own right, an unforgettable experience that incorporates the Nevis Highwire, Nevis Arc and other activities we’ve got planned for the area,” said Henry.

The new Nevis Arc will cost $170 for adults, $110 for children, and a tandem arc will cost $300. Those keen to do the ‘ultimate combo’ of both Nevis Arc and Nevis Highwire Bungy can do so for just $350.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Gordon Campbell: On The Rivals For The Covid Saliva Testing Dollar

If you want a good insight into what the limits of tiny, barely discernible steps to reduce poverty actually look like, delve into the latest Statistics Department figures on poverty in New Zealand Most of the nine measures utilised reveal little or no progress in combatting poverty over the 21 months to March 2020... More>>


 

Government: Reserve Bank To Take Account Of Housing In Decision Making

The Reserve Bank is now required to consider the impact on housing when making monetary and financial policy decisions, Grant Robertson announced today. Changes have been made to the Bank’s Monetary Policy Committee’s remit requiring it to take into ... More>>

ALSO:


RNZ: Alert Levels Remain

There are no new community cases of Covid-19 today, the Ministry of Health has confirmed.
Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins says at least half of the Papatoetoe High School community have been tested and the results that have come through so far have all been negative... More>>

ALSO:

Stats NZ: Latest Release Of Child Poverty Statistics

All measures of child poverty were trending downwards, prior to the COVID-19 lockdown, across the two years since year ended June 2018, Stats NZ said today. The COVID-19 lockdown in late March 2020 affected Stats NZ’s ability to collect data from households ... More>>

ALSO:


NZ Initiative: New Report Highlights How Our Housing Crisis Could Worsen If We Don’t Act Now

If New Zealand politicians thought the housing crisis in 2020 was bad, the worst is yet to come, warns a new report by The New Zealand Initiative. In The Need to Build: The demographic drivers of housing demand , Research Assistant Leonard Hong ... More>>

Parliament: Kiwi MPs Among The “Most Educated In The World”

New analysis of MP qualifications reveals New Zealand’s Parliament is one of the most educated and highest qualified in the world, and significantly more educated than Australia’s. The research, by Mark Blackham of BlacklandPR and Geoffrey Miller ... More>>

The Dig: An Illogical Ideological Struggle

Dig beneath all the trade wars and the arguments to the effect that the USA should not permit China to achieve economic and technological superiority, or even parity, and you find the real reason behind the conflict... More>>

Travel: Government Eases Visa Restrictions For Visitors In New Zealand

Visitor visa holders will be able to stay in New Zealand a little longer as the Government eases restrictions for those still here, the Minister of Immigration has announced. More>>

 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels