Mayors Take on Cycle Challenge
For immediate release
13th November 2009
Hot on the heels of their colleagues in the Beehive, three New Zealand mayors will be participating in New Zealand’s largest one day cycling event, the Wattyl Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge on November 28, 2009.
In the first ‘Mayoral Challenge’ in the event’s 33 year history, Mayor Rick Cooper (Taupo) will be joined by Mayor Dale Williams (Otorohanga) and Mayor Brendan Duffy (Horowhenua District) in the Linfox Relay which divides the 160km circumnavigation of Lake Taupo into 40km legs. Mayor Duffy will ride 80kms.
“I’m really looking forward to participating in my first Cycle Challenge – it’s an iconic event in New Zealand and I can’t believe it’s taken me so long to become involved,” said Mayor Rick Cooper who also participated in the Mizuno Off-Road Half Marathon this year in Taupo.
The Mayors will be participating in one of the most popular of the eleven events during Cycle Challenge –they will be joined by at least another 1000 teams of 2, 3 and 4 in the Linfox Tarmac Relay.
The Mayor’s counterparts in Wellington will also be participating in this year’s Cycle Challenge with Taupo MP Louise Upston entering a relay team with three ladies from Taupo who are also first-timers.
Fellow National MP Hekia Parata has persuaded 3 other women, also in their 50th year, to form a relay team and train for the event while a team of four from the Green Party is headed by co-leaders Metiria Turei and Russel Norman.
While the politicians are focusing on the tarmac events, the Contact Huka Mountain Bike Challenge has once again proved popular with off-road riders – the 80km ride takes in some of Taupo’s most famous mountain bike tracks including those not normally accessible to the public.
Online entries for close on November 21 so keen cyclists should enter before then to avoid a late fee.
In total, there are twelve different Challenges that form the Wattyl Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge
* BNZ Solo - 160 km circuit of Lake Taupo
* BNZ Tandem riders – 160km around Lake Taupo on a tandem bike
* BNZ Solo Combo – 20km MTB followed by circuit of Lake Taupo
* Linfox Tarmac Relay – 4 x 40km legs, use 2, 3 or 4 riders
* Linfox Dirt & Tarmac Relay – add a 20km MTB leg to the start of the relay - 2, 3, 4 or 5 riders
* Enduro - 320 km twice round the lake.
* Maxi Enduro - 640 km four circuits of the lake.
* Contact Huka Challenge- an 80km MTB challenge
* Contact Huka XL Race – 80km MTB race for licensed riders
* Avanti Men’s Classic Race - 160 Km Classic Race component for elite male riders
* WorkOut Zone Women’s Road Race – 60 km classic race component for elite female riders.
* Heart Children NZ Heart Ride – a 5 km ride for under 10s