Wellington attempted bank robbery - info sought
Title: More information sought for Wellington attempted bank robbery
Wellington City Police say information from the public is urgently needed to identify a male involved in an attempted bank robbery and associated bomb threat in Wellington last week.
"CCTV footage has revealed clear images of the man police are seeking who is seen outside the bank. There will be members of the public that will recognise him. If you know this man or recognise his clothing, please contact us," says Detective Sergeant Chris Moore.
"The threat used by this man to facilitate a bank robbery caused major disruption to the public and many CBD businesses over a number of hours. Specialist Police resources were deployed along with other Police and emergency staff to ascertain if a genuine threat existed," says Detective Sergeant Moore.
"It is of concern to us that a person could trade on public fear in this way to facilitate their own greed.”
This incident occurred at the National Bank Featherston Street on Wednesday 9 December at around 2.40pm.
The CBD was cordoned for four
hours to allow specialist Police staff to thoroughly
search the building for explosive devices. Other Police and
emergency services staff closed streets, evacuated buildings
and maintained cordons to keep members of the public at a
Police moved quickly to secure cordons around the area, evacuate the vicinity and identify witnesses, with several members of the public providing valuable information.
The person of interest is a male wearing a red jacket, blue jeans, a baseball cap and black backpack.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact Wellington Police on 0800 TIP OFF (0800 847 633).