Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Jail time reduces market

Jail time reduces market

The jailing of two child sexual abuse image collectors this week means the market for such objectionable material has been reduced, Internal Affairs Deputy Secretary Keith Manch said today. But inspectors here and overseas will continue to trawl the Internet for offenders throughout the holiday period.

“New Zealand is committed to international efforts to help prevent the abuse of children and our inspectors are very active in tracking down collectors of pictures showing this abuse,” Keith Manch said. “We are part of an international team working to catch such offenders and our inspectors are on the job at all hours. If you deal in this material you can expect to get caught.”

On Monday in Dunedin, a 45-year-old truck driver, Graeme Murray Purvis was jailed for three and a half years on 22 charges involving the possession, distribution and making of objectionable publications and attempted sexual grooming of a 15-year-old girl. In Christchurch District Court today Anson Frederick Betts, aged 37, computer programmer, of Mairehau, was jailed for 14 months by Judge Michael Crosbie when he appeared for sentence on 17 charges of possessing objectionable publications.

Keith Manch said the Department seized computer equipment from Betts last February and found over 7100 objectionable files ranging from young girls posing through to the sexual abuse of toddlers. In June 2009, while serving a summons for this offending, inspectors learned he had a new computer which contained four objectionable files and a computer game involving the rape of a schoolgirl and sexual violence. He had also attached a USB drive with child sexual exploitation material to the computer.

“Despite the use of encryption and the apparent destruction of the USB drive our inspectors were able to gather evidence of his offending,” Keith Manch said. “No matter what’s done, everything’s traceable on your computer.” Also sentenced today on one charge of distribution and nine charges of possessing objectionable image files was Aaron Raniera Koziarski, 31, unemployed cook of Merivale, Christchurch. Judge Crosbie sentenced him to six months’ home detention.

Keith Manch said Koziarski used a home network to “hide” material in an unusual location known by the defendant.

“Again through the expertise of our censorship team we were able to establish what he did,” Keith Manch said.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Gordon Campbell: On The America’s Cup, Critical Race Theory And A New, Weekly Music Playlist

So… Why don’t they just cut to the chase, and call it the Emirates Cup? As this column predicted several months ago, the next America’s Cup challenge is headed overseas. Here’s what Werewolf said back in March:
Emirates has made a major commitment to Portsmouth/Isle of Wight as a sailing centre of excellence – and voila, that’s where the next challenger of record is coming from, and where the next Cup contest could well be sailed. Such incredible luck for Emirates, right..? More>>

 

Government: Plan For Vaccine Rollout For General Population Announced

New Zealanders over 60 will be offered a vaccination from July 28 and those over 55 from August 11, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced today... More>>

ALSO:



Government: America’s Cup Decision

The Minister responsible for the America’s Cup has confirmed the joint Crown-Auckland Council offer to host the next regatta has been declined by the Board of Team New Zealand... More>>

ALSO:


Jewish Council: New Zealand Not Immune From Rise In Antisemitism

The representative body of New Zealand Jewry, the NZ Jewish Council (NZJC), has expressed concern about the high number of antisemitic incidents in New Zealand recorded last month. Spokesperson for the NZJC, Juliet Moses, said... More>>

NZNO: Nurses Reject DHB Offer And Confirm Strike Action

The New Zealand Nurses Organisation says its 30,000 members who work in DHBs have voted overwhelmingly to reject a second offer in their current round of multi-employer collective agreement (MECA) negotiations... More>>

ALSO:


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels