Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Major search fails to find missing fishermen at Lake Arapuni

Major co-ordinated search fails to find missing fishermen at Lake Arapuni

A major co-ordinated search effort at Lake Arapuni today has so far failed to find any sign of two fishermen who have been missing on the lake for over a week.

Twenty-one year old Jordan Pooley from Tokoroa and 45 year old James Roberts from Putaruru are believed to have set off in a three metre boat from 'Jones Landing' at the northern end of the lake around midday on Sunday 28 August.

The alarm was raised on Wednesday 31 August when a dog belonging to Mr Roberts returned home without him. Police were notified that night and a search of the lake commenced at daybreak the next day.

Over the past week, members of Police staff have been working on the search alongside search and rescue volunteers, Waikato Regional Council harbour master, members of the local community, and friends and family members of the two missing men.

The Taupo Police Area Commander, Inspector Steve Bullock, says the extensive search was taken a step further today, with a major co-ordinated search effort under and on top of the water, on land and in the air.

"The level of Lake Arapuni was lowered by approximately one metre today to allow a more detailed search effort to take place while there was slightly less water in the lake.

"This effort has included the Taupo Youthtown Rescue Helicopter with Police staff on board searching from the air, the Police Dive Squad working under the water, the Waikato Regional Council Harbour Master and Police staff operating from a vessel on top of the water and other search volunteers and friends and family working around the lake edge.

"Sadly, despite an extensive search operation over the past week and this major co-ordinated effort today, there is still no sign of the missing men."

Inspector Bullock says the search team have found two boots and an oilskin vest in the lake over recent days, which Police are confident belong to the missing men.

He says the Police search operation will continue again tomorrow. The Police Dive Squad will also remain at the lake tomorrow, using sonar equipment in their search below the water.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Gordon Campbell: On The Mosque Movie, And The Demise Of Netanyahu

Plainly, a whole lot of New Zealanders – including PM Jacinda Ardern - are not on board with They Are Us, the mooted film project intended about the Christchurch mosque shootings. Here’s how the original Hollywood Reporter story described the gist of They Are Us... More>>

 



Government: To Apologize For Dawn Raids

The Government will make a formal apology for the wrongs committed during the Dawn Raids of the 1970’s.
Between 1974 and 1976, a series of rigorous immigration enforcement policies were carried out that resulted in targeted raids on the homes of Pacific families... More>>

ALSO:


Trade: EU And UK FTAs Top Of List For First Ministerial Trip Since COVID-19

Trade and Export Growth Minister Damien O’Connor today announced details of his planned visit to the United Kingdom and European Union next week, where he will hold trade and agriculture discussions to further New Zealand’s economic recovery from COVID-19... More>>


Transport: Clean Car Package To Drive Down Emissions

The Government is taking action in line with the advice of the Climate Change Commission to increase the uptake of low emission vehicles by introducing a range of measures that will help meet New Zealand’s 2050 carbon neutral target... More>>

ALSO:


Jewish Council: New Zealand Not Immune From Rise In Antisemitism

The representative body of New Zealand Jewry, the NZ Jewish Council (NZJC), has expressed concern about the high number of antisemitic incidents in New Zealand recorded last month. Spokesperson for the NZJC, Juliet Moses, said... More>>

NZNO: Nurses Reject DHB Offer And Confirm Strike Action

The New Zealand Nurses Organisation says its 30,000 members who work in DHBs have voted overwhelmingly to reject a second offer in their current round of multi-employer collective agreement (MECA) negotiations... More>>

ALSO:


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels