Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Work to identify earthquake victims completed


Work to identify earthquake victims completed

Acting Chief Coroner Gordon Matenga and Police Inspector Mark Harrison have announced that all possible Disaster Victim Identification (DVI) work that can be carried out to identify the remaining victims of the 22 February Christchurch earthquake has now been completed.

"Any traces of DNA have been destroyed by the extremely high temperatures caused by the fire in the CTV building," Coroner Matenga says.

"Despite extensive and exhaustive efforts we have been unable to return any remains of their loved ones to these families but we have been able to issue inquest findings that will help them complete the formalities required."

Inspector Mark Harrison met with the families last week to advise them of the result. “We have been in constant contact with these families during the DVI process to ensure they knew what work was underway to identify their loved ones," says Inspector Harrison.

"I sat with these families last week and explained to them that we have been unable to do so. They appreciated that Police and the other people working with us had spent the last six months doing everything we could to identify them.

“We are now working with the families and the Christchurch City Council to ensure an appropriate memorial for these four victims is established.”

Inspector Harrison also thanked the many agencies that have worked tirelessly to identify the victims including Police staff, the Coroner's Office, scientists from ESR, dentists and other forensic experts.

Those that are unidentified are: • Shawn LUCAS, age 40 (male) of Christchurch • Rhea Mae SUMALPONG, age 25 (female) of the Philippines (Australian resident) • Elsa TORRES DE FROOD, age 53 (female) of Peru (NZ resident) • Valeri VOLNOV, age 41 (male) of Russia (NZ resident)

All victims were in the CTV building.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On That $4 Billion Hit To National’s Economic Cred

National released its economic and tax policy last Friday. Weirdly, the plan was announced right at the end of the news week, when whatever impact it managed to generate would be likely to dissipate over the weekend. Well…. that now seems all for the best. The plan is now known to have a $4 billion hole in it. Apparently, National used outdated figures for the amount it stood to save from NOT paying into the Super Fund. Amusingly, the $4 billion mistake was almost exactly the same size as the $4.7 billion that National still promises to give away in tax cuts... More>>

 

PM: Auckland At Bolstered Level 2, Rest Of Country Provisionally At Level 1

Pandemic alert levels for the whole country have been reviewed by Cabinet and Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is announcing whether restrictions will be eased. More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Supporting Workers And Valuing Their Contribution

Making sure working New Zealanders are safe, healthy and that their contribution to the economy is valued is at the heart of Labour’s Workplace Relations Policy.
“This is Labour demonstrating its commitment to helping working New Zealanders by increasing sick leave, raising wages, protecting them while they are at work, growing jobs and investing in the economy,”... More>>

ALSO:

PREFU: Economy Doing Better Than Forecast

The Pre-election Economic and Fiscal Update released today shows that the near-term economic recovery has been stronger than the Treasury and many economists predicted at the May Budget, as the economy bounced back strongly out of lockdown... More>>

ALSO:


PM Statement: Cabinet COVID-19 Alert Level Review

Takiri mai te ata, ka ao, ka ao, ka awatea, tihei mauriora! Tātou katoa ngā iwi o Aotearoa, tēnā koutou! Tēnā tātou e whakanuia ana i te wiki nei, te wiki o te reo Māori Greeting to you all from Otepoti, Dunedin. This week is the Māori ... More>>

ALSO:


Electoral Commission: Candidate And Party Lists Released

17 registered political parties and 677 candidates will be contesting the 2020 General Election Nominations have now closed and the Electoral Commission has released the electorate and party list candidates for 2020 online at vote.nz . Advance voting ... More>>

National: Plan To Restore NZ’s Prosperity

National’s Economic and Fiscal Plan carefully balances the need to invest in infrastructure and core public services while also reducing tax pressure on Kiwi families and businesses. National Leader Judith Collins and Finance spokesperson Paul Goldsmith unveiled National’s ... More>>

ALSO:

NZ First: Party List

New Zealand First has a proven twenty-seven-year history of bringing balance and common sense to our government. Amid the continued setbacks of COVID-19 restrictions, New Zealand First has once again sustained its profile by selecting a strong team ... More>>

Election: Arriving Travellers In Isolation To Be Able To Vote By Telephone

Up to 5,000 people in managed isolation or quarantine will be able to vote by telephone in the general election and referendums after an amendment to electoral regulations last week. Chief Electoral Officer Alicia Wright says the Electoral Commission sought ... More>>

National: Investing In Our Children’s Future

A National Government will prioritise lifting achievement for all New Zealand children, no matter their background or ability, National Party Leader Judith Collins and National’s Education spokesperson Nicola Willis say. “Parents just want what’s best for ... More>>

 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 


 

InfoPages News Channels