Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Wellington City representation review under way

NEWS RELEASE
4 September 2012


Wellington City representation review under way

Consultation on Wellington City Council’s proposed representation arrangements for next year’s local body election begins today.

It is proposed the current arrangements – which cover Councillor numbers, ward boundaries and community boards – will apply unless there is more wide-ranging local government reorganisation in the wider Wellington area between now and then.

The Council’s Governance Portfolio Leader, Deputy Mayor Ian McKinnon, says the Council, like other local authorities, is legally required to review its representation arrangements every six years. The last review was carried out in 2006.

The Council is proposing that the five existing wards – Northern, Eastern, Southern, Onslow/Western and Lambton – remain, ward boundaries stay as they are and the city retains a Mayor and 14 Councillors and community boards for Tawa and Makara/Ohariu.

Copies of the representation proposal, submission forms and maps setting out the areas and boundaries of the proposed wards and communities are available on the Council website Wellington.govt.nz, from all Council libraries and the City Service Centre at 101 Wakefield Street or by phoning 499 4444.

Submissions can be made online in the ‘Have your say’ section at Wellington.govt.nz, by mail using the Freepost submission form or by emailing representationreview@wcc.govt.nz

Submissions are required by 5pm on Friday 5 October.

Once feedback has been considered, the Council will finalise its proposal and advertise for any objections. If there are objections, these will be considered by the Local Government Commission.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Gordon Campbell: On The America’s Cup, Critical Race Theory And A New, Weekly Music Playlist

So… Why don’t they just cut to the chase, and call it the Emirates Cup? As this column predicted several months ago, the next America’s Cup challenge is headed overseas. Here’s what Werewolf said back in March:
Emirates has made a major commitment to Portsmouth/Isle of Wight as a sailing centre of excellence – and voila, that’s where the next challenger of record is coming from, and where the next Cup contest could well be sailed. Such incredible luck for Emirates, right..? More>>

 

Government: Plan For Vaccine Rollout For General Population Announced

New Zealanders over 60 will be offered a vaccination from July 28 and those over 55 from August 11, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced today... More>>

ALSO:



Government: America’s Cup Decision

The Minister responsible for the America’s Cup has confirmed the joint Crown-Auckland Council offer to host the next regatta has been declined by the Board of Team New Zealand... More>>

ALSO:


Jewish Council: New Zealand Not Immune From Rise In Antisemitism

The representative body of New Zealand Jewry, the NZ Jewish Council (NZJC), has expressed concern about the high number of antisemitic incidents in New Zealand recorded last month. Spokesperson for the NZJC, Juliet Moses, said... More>>

NZNO: Nurses Reject DHB Offer And Confirm Strike Action

The New Zealand Nurses Organisation says its 30,000 members who work in DHBs have voted overwhelmingly to reject a second offer in their current round of multi-employer collective agreement (MECA) negotiations... More>>

ALSO:


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels