Key decisions from Community, Culture and Recreation ctte
Tuesday 3 September 2013
Key decisions from today’s Community, Culture and Recreation Committee meeting
Christchurch City Council’s Community, Recreation and Culture Committee met and will make the following recommendations to the Council:
• To exempt Port Levy Community Hall from its current policy of closing non-residential buildings that are below 34 per cent of New Building Standard (NBS) on the basis that it is not considered dangerous to occupy.
• To repair the Lyttelton Recreation Centre. The recommendation includes significant improvements to the building, including soundproofing and modernising meeting rooms, upgrading the ventilation system, re-roofing the office and squash courts and an improved fit-out.
• To rebuild Norman Kirk Memorial Pool in Lyttelton. The Committee will recommend the pool, which is extensively damaged and closed indefinitely, is rebuilt to 100 per cent of NBS. It is recommended improvements are made to the facility including increasing the size of the toddlers’/children’s pool, installing sun shading and other improvements.
• To repair Waltham Pool. The Committee will recommend the pool is repaired to 67 per cent of NBS. A number of improvements to the pool are recommended including signage, landscaping, roofing, re-sizing the plant room, fencing, painting, shade sails and other small improvements.
• To approve a revised International Relations Policy. It was noted that the incoming Council may wish to do a further review of the Sister Cities Strategy that was outside the scope of this review.
• To approve four Heritage Incentive Grants for repairs to 39 Holmwood Rd, 37A Holmwood Rd, 49 Oxford St, Lyttelton, 18 Rue Balguerie, Akaroa and a conservation covenant consent was given for repair work being carried out as part of the restoration process of Christchurch Girls High School’s Acland House on Papanui Road. The covenant is required for the proposed removal of heritage fixtures and fittings from the building during this process.
- ends -