Civil Defence monitoring Banks Peninsula tsunami alert
Thursday 17 September 2017, 12.40pm
Christchurch Civil Defence monitoring Banks Peninsula tsunami alert
Christchurch Civil Defence and Emergency Management (CDEM) is monitoring the tsunami alert issued by the Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management at 12pm today for East Cape, Chatham Islands, Coromandel and Banks Peninsula.
Christchurch CDEM is seeking more detailed information about the Chilean earthquake and the potential tsunami risk for coastal Banks Peninsula. More information will be released to the media and public as soon as it is available and monitoring will continue throughout the evening.
Please be aware that an earthquake in this location creates a long lead-time for assessment (estimated 12 - 14 hours for New Zealand).
In the meantime, people in
the Banks Peninsula coastal area are advised to follow the
instructions issued by the Ministry and:
1. Stay out of the water (sea, rivers and estuaries, including boating activities)
2. Stay off beaches and shore areas
3. Do not go sightseeing
4. Share this information with family, neighbours and friends
5. Listen to the radio and/or TV for updates
6. Follow instructions of local civil defence authorities
Read more information from the Ministry at: www.civildefence.govt.nz
– ends –