State Highway 35 north of Gisborne impacted by rain
27 September 2016 | CENTRAL REGION
Update – State Highway 35 north of Gisborne impacted by rain
The NZ Transport Agency is advising motorists to take extra care on State Highway 35, north of Gisborne, as there are a number of slips on the roads following heavy rain.
The current situation is:
· State Highway 35 near Goldsmith Hill which was closed overnight is now open to one lane. It will be under stop/go traffic management with speed restrictions for at least the next two days.
· State Highway 35 intersection with Waiau Road. There is a slip blocking one lane. It will be under stop/go traffic management with speed restrictions until contractors can clear the slip.
· State Highway 35 Puketiti. There is slip material across the road. Motorists should take extra care until contractors can clear the road.
· State Highway 35 Kopuroa – subsidence on the road way – this means some damage to the surface of the road. Motorists should take extra care until contractors can repair the road.
· East Cape Road. No current slips but our contractors are monitoring this road as there were slips on this road yesterday.
“The Gisborne area has experienced a large amount of rain, and the forecast is for the rain to continue through to Friday. Most of the issues are on State Highways 35 north of Gisborne, and currently there are no issues on State Highway 2,” Wayne Oldfield, Highway Manager, NZ Transport Agency says.
“Our contactors are out on roads making sites secures with temporary traffic management and are beginning repairs where possible. They will also be keeping an eye on the rest of the network, and will give us updates at least every two hours as conditions change. People can also give us updates if they notice any further problems on the roads by calling 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49) for state highways and 0800 653 800 for local roads.”
“We ask that motorists exercise extra care and drive to the conditions. As conditions can change rapidly, motorists should check road and weather conditions before they travel, and if possible, delay travel until conditions improve,” Mr Oldfield says.