Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Wellington to introduce online building consents


Monday 2 October

Wellington to introduce online building consents

Building consents in Wellington can now be handled through an easy, streamlined online application service, Wellington Mayor Justin Lester has announced.

After a successful trial, that involved six other councils, from today (Monday 2 October), the service will be available to all Wellington City Council building consent customers.

The service allows applicants to submit their building consent applications via an online portal.

Justin Lester says this is a goal Council has been pursuing for some time. “Simplifying our building consents process is a huge priority for our Council. A simple, easy to use online portal will allow people to track their applications and make the process easier.

“This is going to be an enormous win for Wellington – it will make it easier to do business in the city, and take a big hassle out of building new homes. For a Council focused on affordable housing and boosting economic growth, this is a no-brainer.

“As someone who’s set up my own business, I know what a difference this would have made.”

The Mayor said public feedback from the trial had been extremely positive.

"Customers are finding the service quicker and easier to use," he said. “They also love being able to track progress online.”

All of the Council’s current building consent customers will be advised about the new online service.

The online service is being provided by GoCouncil, a partnership between Master Business Systems (MBS) the developers of GoGet and Nuwave. MBS has more than 20 years of experience working with council building departments.

Wellington City Council is part of GoShift, an initiative involving more than 20 councils, from Western Bay of Plenty to Nelson, which aims to improve the building consents process.

Economic Development portfolio lead Councillor Simon Marsh says Council is intent on removing barriers to doing business in the city.

“The ultimate goal is a one stop shop for consenting and regulatory processes. Online building consenting is a step in that direction and will be a big boost for local businesses demonstrating Wellington is open for business. Offering a simpler process with fewer delays will save our small businesses time and money.

“I want this to be the best city in the country to start and grow a business, Council’s role is to minimise hurdles wherever possible for that business to succeed.”

Councillor Marsh adds the Council is already using the new standardised building consent application forms and the online service is the next stage in the initiative.

Standardised processing checklists have been developed and, in the future, inspection checklists will also be standardised and there will be a single, best practice quality management system.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Sam Uffindell’s Sorry Excuse For An Apology


Most of us believe in redemption and atonement… But the timing, the nature and the semantics of Sam Uffindell‘s apology for his role in a gang that beat a younger kid (reportedly) with wooden bed legs, has left much to be desired. The victim seems pretty clear about the motivation behind Uffindell’s apology, which came out of the blue 22 years after the event...
More>>




 
 

Auditor-General: Submission On The Water Services Entities Bill
We have published our submission to the Finance and Expenditure Committee on the Water Services Entities Bill. Because water services are critical to everyone, our focus is on how the public and Parliament are able to influence the performance... More>>



Luxon: Speech To The 2022 National Party Annual Conference

Kia ora! What a brilliant conference! The energy wave from this weekend will carry us right through to election year and I say: bring it on... More>>


National: Five Years Of Failure For Light Rail
Construction of light rail in Auckland might not begin until 2025 despite tomorrow marking five years since Jacinda Ardern announced it would be delivered to Mt Roskill by 2021, National’s Transport spokesperson Simeon Brown says... More>>


Green Party: Abuse Revelations Leave No Choice But To Overhaul RSE Scheme
The Green Party is calling on the Government to overhaul the Recognised Seasonal Employers scheme in the wake of revelations of shocking human rights violations... More>>



Government: More Women On Public Boards Than Ever Before

“Women’s representation on public sector boards and committees is now 52.5 percent, the highest ever level... More>>


Te Pāti Māori: Debbie Ngarewa-Packer Calls On PM To Support Bill To Ban Seabed Mining

Te Pāti Māori Co-leader, Ngāti Ruanui and Ngā Rauru uri Debbie Ngarewa-Packer is today celebrating that her Prohibition on Seabed Mining Legislation Amendment Bill has been drawn from Parliament’s biscuit tin... More>>

 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels