Celebrating 25 Years of Scoop
Special: Up To 25% Off Scoop Pro Learn More

Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Dunedin New Year’s Eve fireworks confirmed

New Year’s Eve fireworks confirmed

Dunedin (Tuesday, 31 October 2017) – Dunedin residents and visitors can look forward to a big night celebrating New Year’s Eve in the Octagon, complete with fireworks.

Following an incident at last year’s celebrations where a person was injured by a firework, WorkSafe has indicated it has closed its investigation with no charges or actions required. Formal notification is expected shortly.

The Dunedin City Council’s independent investigation, completed earlier this year, found there was not enough evidence to clearly show whether the firework responsible was from the DCC fireworks display or whether it was let off by a member of the public.

The investigation also found the DCC had taken all reasonable health and safety steps in organising the event.

DCC Manager Community Development and Events Joy Gunn says despite the findings, the DCC has taken a cautious approach to future celebrations and has extended the public exclusion zone for this year’s fireworks. No personal fireworks will be permitted for safety reasons and there will be more security personnel.

“We have taken these steps to make sure the event is as safe and enjoyable as possible for all those who attend.”

More roads will be closed and food stalls will be set up in Princes Street, instead of the Octagon, so there is more space for people in the Octagon.

Ms Gunn says while the public exclusion zone will extend into areas such as Harrop Street, the areas will only be closed for 15 minutes before and 15 minutes after the fireworks.

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

Are you getting our free newsletter?

Subscribe to Scoop’s 'The Catch Up' our free weekly newsletter sent to your inbox every Monday with stories from across our network.

The fireworks, which are placed on the top of the Civic Centre building, cost $12,000. They are part of an overall $70,000 budget for the New Year’s Eve event.

The 31 December celebrations include live music in the Octagon from 8pm until midnight.

Ms Gunn says, “This is an all-ages family event that is about celebrating the New Year as a community, and the opportunity to enjoy a great night out in a safe environment.”

© Scoop Media

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels


 
 
 
 

Join Our Free Newsletter

Subscribe to Scoop’s 'The Catch Up' our free weekly newsletter sent to your inbox every Monday with stories from across our network.