Contractors Work to Clear Buller Gorge & West Coast Highways
Contractors Work to Clear Slips, Fallen Trees Upper Buller Gorge And Other West Coast Highways
The NZ Transport Agency’s contractors are continuing to work to clear slips in the Upper Buller Gorge area, State Highway 6 from 8-Mile to Inangahua.
The highway from 8 Mile to Inangahua Junction closed this morning due to slips and fallen trees. The detour, which adds time to the journey, is via SH65, Springs Junction and Reefton, and could be in place all day.
“The slip that has closed the road is still active and a few hundred cubic metres of material has been dislodged,” says Lee Wright, Transport Agency Journey Manager. “We have power lines on the slip, so crews are working with the power company.
“Weather is still poor across Buller so we encourage people to avoid travelling through this area if they can today with debris and fallen trees in a number of places.
“Motorists are advised to take extreme care and slow down. The next update on the slip that has closed the road will be at 5pm.”
• There is also a fallen tree across State Highway 7 Springs Junction to Reefton, blocking the eastbound lane after 11 am today. Drivers need to expect delays on this highway also.
Places to get updates on state highways in the South Island:
• Facebook NZ Transport Agency South Island
• See the NZ Transport Agency's travel and traffic page here.
• This event north of Inangahua: http://www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/regions/12
• Call 0800 4 HIGHWAYS 0800 44 44 49