Tranzurban on industrial action
RESPONSE TO UNION ACTION
Tranzurban delivered 96.7% of commuter services and 100% of school services in Wellington and the Hutt Valley during today’s industrial action.
“We couldn’t be prouder of our loyal drivers and our entire team,” says Tranzurban managing director Paul Snelgrove following a strike by Tramways Union members.
“There was some uncertainty about how things might go but everyone across the whole operation pulled together to make sure commuters weren’t too put out.
“We’d like to especially thank commuters for their patience and understanding. They’re the ones most inconvenienced by this totally unnecessary, unreasonable and unjustified industrial action by the union.”
As at 4.30pm, only 25 of Tranzurban’s 290 drivers had opted to strike throughout the day.
“That’s a far cry from the 140 the union said would be going out,” says Snelgrove.
“But we always knew it was yet another wildly false claim made by the union, because the majority of our drivers had already told us they had no interest in striking. They know we’re a good employer that offers great conditions and the best flat hourly rates in the country. This action is premature and it’s a shame for commuters and our drivers, who are confused about why it is they're expected to strike.
“The question that now need to be asked of Kevin O’Sullivan is whether he wants to continue wasting everyone’s time by trying to punish commuters and his own union members for five more weeks or come back to the negotiating table and work with us constructively to move things forward.”
Tranzurban last week initiated Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment-mediated talks, with a meeting set for October 31.
Snelgrove says that should the union opt to push on with strike action, commuters are advised to keep a close eye on Metlink’s service updates on the Metlink website.
A total of 59 Hutt Valley bus trips were cancelled as at 4.30pm today, with five trip cancellations in Wellington.