South Island State Highways Status - 28/3/19
Below is the current status of the State Highways in the South Island. We ask that motorists travel through the work areas at the posted temporary speed limits for your own safety and for the safety of our roading crews.
You can keep up to date with the current State Highway conditions by checking our Traffic Map www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/southisland.
State Highways: Warnings & Closures
Canterbury (Including Alpine / Mountain Passes)
• UPDATE: SH73 Arthurs Pass to Jacksons - Kellys Creek - ROAD CLOSED – Flooding – There is water flowing over the bridge deck. Our contractors are still working hard to get the road cleared. Next update is expected by 2 pm
• SH6 Franz Josef to Fox Glacier – ROAD CLOSED – Slip – The road will remain closed until further notice whilst the Waiho River Bridge is reinstated. Next update due by Thursday 4 April.
• Alternative Route: There is no direct access between Fox Glacier and Franz Josef townships. Road users are advised to plan your journey accordingly as the detour between these townships is significant.
• SH6 Hokitika to Franz Josef – ROAD OPEN – Flooding – Road is open but down to ONE LANE in sections. Please follow
• SH6 Fox Glacier to Haast - ROAD OPEN – Surface Water – Road is open to ONE LANE
• SH6 Haast to Makarora – ROAD OPEN – Slip – Road is now open to ONE LANE
MetService - Severe Weather Warnings