Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Strong Enquiry On Arena Proposal

Auckland City Council

About 24 organisations have so far responded to Auckland City Council’s call for expressions of interest (EOI) for the development of an arena at Quay Park.

The organisations are either looking to be part of a consortium or are putting together a team to submit a proposal, says the chairperson of the Council’s City Attractions Committee, Cr Victoria Carter. They include prospective bankers, building contractors, developers and venue managers.

Eight of the enquiries have come from overseas.

Auckland City Council is calling for private sector leadership of the development and ongoing management of a 10,000 – 14,000 seat indoor arena for its leasehold 5ha Quay Park site on the edge of the central city.

The arena would host major sports and entertainment events – basketball, netball, concerts and ice sports - which promoters say New Zealand is now missing out on because it does not have a large enough indoor venue.

At the same time it is gauging the public’s support for the proposal, through an information and consultation process. More than 250 responses had been received from the public by the end of the first week of the process. Most of them supported the concept of an arena.

As part of the consultation, an information ‘open house’ will be held this Saturday (November 6) on the Quay Park site between 10am and 3pm. The public consultation closes on November 26 while the call for expressions of interest closes on December 10.

Cr Carter, says no decision has been made to proceed with the arena. "The dual process we have embarked on is designed to test both the event industry’s and the public’s commitment to such a venue.

"The EOI process will determine the level of investment support for the concept from the private sector, while the public information and consultation process will gauge the public’s support and seek information about what issues the Council should take into account if the planning progresses.

"Council’s role, if it decides to proceed with the project, will be to facilitate the development of a financially viable indoor arena on Quay Park, while negating or minimising the cost to Auckland City ratepayers."

The investigation follows an evaluation by the Hillary Commission in 1998 of three possible arena sites in the Auckland Region. That evaluation, requested by the Auckland Regional Council to avoid duplication of facilities in the region, looked at the Ericsson Stadium at Mt Smart (proposed by the Regional Council), the Manukau stadium site (proposed by Manukau City Council) and the Quay Park site (proposed by the Auckland City Council).

"The Hillary Commission’s recommendation was that Quay Park, in downtown Auckland, is the preferred site because if its accessibility and its proximity to public transport, accommodation and downtown facilities," Cr Carter says.

"According to overseas experience, the site meets all the criteria for a successful arena position."

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The Geo-political Posturing Over China’s Cyber Hacks, Plus The Weekly Playlist

The timing was one of the weirder aspects of this week’s cyber condemnation of China by the West. Why was this piece of political theatre being staged now? China (and Russia’s) sponsoring and/or condoning of semi-state and criminal hacker groups has been known about for nigh on a decade. More particularly, Microsoft had been alerted to the flaws in its Microsoft Exchange... More>>




 
 


Government: Quarantine Free Travel With Australia Suspended

Quarantine Free Travel from all Australian states and territories to New Zealand is being suspended as the Covid situation there worsens, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and COVID-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins announced today... More>>

ALSO:


Government: New Zealand Condemns Malicious Cyber Activity By Chinese State-sponsored Actors

New Zealand has established links between Chinese state-sponsored actors known as Advanced Persistent Threat 40 (APT40) and malicious cyber activity in New Zealand. “The GCSB has worked through a robust technical attribution process in relation to this activity. New Zealand is today joining other countries in strongly condemning this malicious activity... More>>

ALSO:

Government: Commits $600,000 To Flood Recovery

The Government is contributing $600,000 to help residents affected by the weekend’s violent weather with recovery efforts. Acting Minister for Emergency Management Kris Faafoi and Agriculture Minister Damien O’Connor have been in the Buller district this afternoon to assess flood damage and support the local response effort... More>>

ALSO:



NZUS Council: Welcomes Nomination Of Senator Tom Udall As US Ambassador To NZ

The NZUS Council welcomes the nomination of Senator Tom Udall to the role of US Ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa, NZUS Council executive director Jordan Small said... More>>

BusinessNZ: Visa Extensions Welcomed
BusinessNZ has welcomed the extension of some critical skill visa durations and changes to immigration systems to speed processing. Chief Executive Kirk Hope says move acknowledges advocacy by the hospitality sector, the BusinessNZ Network and others, and comes not a moment too soon.... More>>



Social Development: Government Initiatives Contribute To Fall In Benefit Numbers

Minister for Social Development Carmel Sepuloni has welcomed the release of the June quarter Benefit Statistics which show a continuing fall in the number of people receiving a Main Benefit... More>>


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels