Who Do You Trust? - Trans-Tasman Differences
24 October 2001
for immediate release
Kiwis and Aussies have some quite different ideas when it comes to who they trust most and what brands they trust the most.
- New Zealanders trust the Police more. Police scored more highly in New Zealand than they did in Australia, where they were ranked 6th compared for 4th in New Zealand.
- Pharmacists are more trusted in Australia than in New Zealand where they ranked 4th compared for 7th in New Zealand.
- Doctors were ranked 6th in New Zealand and 7th in Australia.
- Church is less trusted in New Zealand where it ranked 15th, compared to 11th in Australia.
- Builders are more trusted in New Zealand where they were ranked at 17th and at 13th in Australia, where the second most common statement made about builders was “they rip people off”.
- Journalists are more trusted in Australia with a ranking of 20th, compared to 23rd in New Zealand.
- Kiwis and Aussies agree that politicians are the least trusted profession. They both shared 25th place (last place) in New Zealand and Australia.
- New Zealanders were more positive overall than Australians, eg Australians gave scores much lower than New Zealanders gave their banks, telecommunications provider, newspaper and radio personality.
- New Zealanders and Australians agreed that Visa, Panadol, Sunbeam, Sony, and Colgate were the most trusted in their brand categories.
- No surprise re airlines! Kiwis votes for Air New Zealand and Aussies for Qantas.
- When it comes to computers, Australians preferred IBM, while New Zealanders chose Compaq.