Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

World First on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire

Monday 22 November
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

World First on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire Two Winners in Three Weeks Get the Jackpot

History was repeated last night on Prime's Who Wants To Be A Millionaire when Martin Flood became the second person to win the jackpot on the hit quiz show, hosted by Eddie McGuire.

It took six years for the first million to go off and in a world first, Flood, 41, an IT analyst from Sydney, snared the million-dollar prize just three weeks after Rob Fulton made headlines with his history-making win.

Like Fulton, who made it into the top 10 three times before finally getting his chance in the Millionaire Hot Seat, Flood has played “Fastest Finger” without success. He finally got through last Monday, November 7 after three previous attempts.

After correctly answering 13 questions last week he returned last night to go for $500,000 with two lifelines intact. Flood answered the $500,000 question with some assistance from his ‘Phone-A-Friend’ lifeline and went on to become the second person to lock in an answer for the million-dollar question after using his last lifeline.

The million-dollar question was:

Who was never 'Time' magazine's 'Man of the Year'?
A: Adolf Hitler, B: Ayatollah Khomeini, C: Joseph Stalin, D: Mao Zedong

Flood used his 50/50 lifeline and answers A and C were removed. He then locked in D: Mao Zedong and received a cheque for one million dollars from an overwhelmed host Eddie McGuire.

McGuire, who has hosted the show since it premiered, said: “It’s been a month for making television history on this show and incredibly, we’ve done it again and set a new record. Martin is a most deserving winner and I wish him and his family all the very best.”

Deb Stewart, Executive Producer, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, said: ”I congratulate Martin wholeheartedly. Whilst some have queried Martin's unique style of play, our security and verification processes have conclusively vindicated him. “

Flood’s winnings bring the total amount of money given away on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire to $27,725,000. In 2005, the show has given a whopping $6,376,000 away to lucky contestants including farmers in drought, battlers and kids and their parents.

Next Monday, 28th November at 7.30pm, Prime will present a Who Wants To Be A Millionaire two-hour finale, “Mummy Wants To Be A Millionaire”, where ten pregnant women will play “Fastest Finger” to see who has a chance to sit opposite Eddie McGuire in the “Hot Seat”.

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire two-hour finale, Monday 28 November at 7.30pm on Prime.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 



Air New Zealand: Relaunching 14 International Routes In 16 Days

Air New Zealand is gearing up for the busiest July in two years with the relaunch of 14 international routes in 16 days... More>>



Inland Revenue: Update On Hidden Economy Real Estate Campaign

The Inland Revenue campaign focussing on the real estate sector has resulted in a drop in the amount of private expenses claims being made... More>>



Westpac: Consumer Confidence Plummets To Record Lows As Financial Pressures Mount

The Westpac McDermott Miller Consumer Confidence Index dropped sharply in the June quarter, falling 13 points to a level of 78.7... More>>


BusinessNZ: NZ Economy - Prevailing Headwinds
The latest BusinessNZ Planning Forecast reveals business and consumer confidence is low, with factors at home and abroad hampering our recovery... More>>


Specialist Cheesemakers Assn: Shared Cheese Heritage Should Be Shared Not Stripped

As the EU-New Zealand FTA advances New Zealand cheesemakers are urging both Governments to recognise and celebrate the shared cheesemaking heritage that exists between European countries and New Zealand... More>>

Download Weekly: $60 million for more rural connections
David Clark, the digital economy and communications minister, announced the government will spend $60 million to further improve rural connectivity over the next few years... More>>