Make sure you’re not a target for burglars
23 December 2005
Make sure you’re not a target for burglars these holidays
State, part of IAG NZ, New Zealand’s largest general insurer, is reminding people to take steps to protect their property especially if they’re heading out of town this holiday season.
Following these simple tips can help prevent the trauma caused by burglaries:
- Ensure doors remain locked at all times as burglars may still enter your residence even if you are home
- Make your home appears lived in by keeping blinds partly open, use an automatic time-switch to turn on a radio and activate lights at night
- Let your neighbours know you will be away and have them, or a friend, regularly collect the mail and mow the lawn so your home looks occupied
- Keep records of your appliance serial numbers
- Mark your driver’s licence number on the back of valuable electronic appliances like your TV, DVD player, video recorder and stereo systems
- Make sure garages and garden sheds are secured and valuable property is protected, especially at night
- Keep your car keys in a secure and hidden place as burglars will steal a vehicle if the opportunity presents itself
- Don’t leave valuables in your car where they can be seen. That is an open invitation for a burglar.
- Install double-keyed deadlocks and key
locks for windows
- Install an alarm
If your home is burgled over the holidays be sure to advise the police and your insurance company immediately and make a list of the items stolen.
State wishes all New Zealanders a safe and happy holiday season.
State is a business division of IAG New Zealand Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Insurance Australia Group (IAG), Australasia’s largest general insurer. IAG NZ has approximately 40% share of the general insurance market and manages 2.5 million policies on behalf of more than 1 million New Zealanders.