Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Volume of residential building lowest in 6 years

Embargoed until 10:45am – 8 December 2008

Volume of residential building work lowest in six years

The seasonally adjusted volume of residential building work put in place for the September 2008 quarter is the lowest since June 2002, Statistics New Zealand said today. The volume of residential building work put in place has been falling since the most recent peak in September 2007. In the latest quarter the volume fell 7.9 percent.

The trend indicates the volume of residential building work has decreased by over one-fifth in the past year.

According to the Building Consents Issued: October 2008 Hot Off the Press, the number of consents authorised for new dwellings is at its lowest level since January 1992.

In contrast, the seasonally adjusted volume of non-residential building work rose 5.8 percent in the September 2008 quarter, following falls in the previous two quarters. In the latest quarter, there was a higher-than-usual number of building jobs that each had a value of work put in place of more than $10 million.

The seasonally adjusted volume of all building work put in place fell 2.1 percent in the September 2008 quarter, the third successive fall.

For the year ended September 2008, the unadjusted value of all building work put in place was $13.2 billion, up 0.1 percent from the previous September year. Residential buildings contributed 60.6 percent of this value, and non-residential buildings contributed the remaining 39.4 percent.

Geoff Bascand
Government Statistician
8 December 2008

ENDS

See also the Hot Off The Press information release Value of Building Work Put in Place: September 2008 quarter. [PDF]

vbwSep2008alltables1.xls

--

Value of Building Work Put in Place: September 2008 quarter Highlights

The seasonally adjusted volume of:

• Residential building work fell 7.9 percent and is at its lowest level for six years.

• Non-residential building work rose 5.8 percent.

• All building work fell 2.1 percent.

The trend indicates the volume of residential building work has decreased
by over one-fifth in the past year

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Tourism: Employers Welcome Back Working Holidaymakers

Tourism businesses gearing up for the return of Australian visitors from next week will be relieved to learn that they will also have access to an offshore pool of much-needed job candidates, Tourism Industry Aotearoa says. Tourism employers around ... More>>

Commerce Commission: Latest Broadband Report Confirms Improved Performance Of Premium Fibre Plans

The latest report from the Commerce Commission’s Measuring Broadband New Zealand programme shows that the performance of Fibre Max plans has improved substantially. This follows a collaboration between the Commission, its independent testing partner, ... More>>

Air New Zealand: Capital Raise Deferred

Air New Zealand has decided to defer its planned capital raise to later in 2021 allowing more time to assess the impacts of recent developments on the airline’s path to recovery. 'We’ve seen some clearing of COVID-19 clouds recently, with ... More>>

Commerce Commission: Cartel Conduct Now Punishable By Up To 7 Years’ Jail Time

Cartel conduct can now be punished with a term of imprisonment of up to 7 years, after the Commerce (Criminalisation of Cartels) Amendment Act 2019 came into effect today. Cartel conduct includes price fixing, market allocation and bid rigging (see ... More>>

Stats NZ: New Report Shows Impact Of Demands On Land In New Zealand

A new environmental report released today by the Ministry for the Environment and Stats NZ, presents new data on New Zealand’s land cover, soil quality, and land fragmentation. The land cover data in the report, Our land 2021 , provides the most ... More>>

ALSO:

Stats NZ: March Card Spending Rebounds Despite COVID

There was a lift in retail card spending in March following a fall in the lockdown-disrupted February month, Stats NZ said today. Seasonally adjusted retail card spending rose by $53 million (0.9 percent), compared with February 2021. Visit our website to read ... More>>

PwC: Outcome Of Review Into Air New Zealand Gas Turbines Business

Air New Zealand has received the report into its Gas Turbines business from independent external advisers PwC. Air New Zealand Chairman Dame Therese Walsh says the report identified a range of effective controls in the Gas Turbines revenue contracting ... More>>