Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Jean Jones demise caught up in latest SFO probe

Jean Jones demise caught up in latest SFO probe

By Pattrick Smellie

Dec. 10 (BusinessDesk) – The swirl of official investigations surrounding failed finance company Rockforte is growing, with the Serious Fraud Office confirming a probe that will almost certainly shed light on the failure of the Jean Jones clothing chain.

The Gisborne-based lender was placed in receivership in May, owing $3.25 million to 77 investors, all of whom were covered by the Crown Retail Deposit Guarantee Scheme.

“Although not large in dollar terms, this is a case that has had a large impact on a local community,” the SFO’s chief executive Adam Feeley said. “Therefore the investigation fits well with the SFO’s objective of restoring public confidence and improving financial security of New Zealand investors, within that community.”

At the heart of the Rockforte collapse is a series of partially disclosed events involving the Rockforte principals, accountant Nigel O’Leary and Gisborne businessman John Gardner, who are both close friends and distant relatives.

O’Leary was also a close business adviser to Michael Ward, the Gisborne-based owner of the Jean Jones women’s’ clothing franchise, which had 20 retail outlets and, unusually for New Zealand in the 21st century, a local manufacturing base.

Bernard Montgomerie, liquidator of two of the Jean Jones companies, has said advances to the Jean Jones retail business accounted for around a quarter of Rockforte's $6.8 million loan book.

In April last year, O’Leary to Gardner seized the assets of the Jean Jones company, leaving Ward – a founding family owner – and creditors owed at least $4 million, including a little under $1 million to the Inland Revenue Department.

The Securities Commission, IRD, Rockforte’s trustee Covenant Trust, Companies Office, the National
Enforcement Unit of the Ministry of Economic Development, and the Institute of Chartered Accountants are also all conducting investigations either into Rockforte or the conduct of O’Leary, a long-time friend and financial adviser to Ward.

Ward says O’Leary was virtually running the business at the time of the assets seizure.

The New Zealand Herald reported in October last year that the liquidator had sufficient evidence to take a complaint to the SFO, with Montgomerie saying: “In my opinion, this has been an orchestrated campaign over at least three years…progressing on to money-washing through the company, and the final seizure of all the assets and failing to account.”

Rockforte is the seventeenth finance that has been investigated by the SFO since 2007. Of these, nine investigations are ongoing and, to date, five have resulted in criminal charges.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

RNZ: Porirua Most Expensive Region To Rent, According To Trade Me

A rental website shows this town is now New Zealand's most expensive region to rent a house, ahead of Wellington and Auckland cities. More>>

ALSO:


Stats NZ: Nearly 1,000 More Big Businesses Now Than Two Decades Ago – Media Release

There are now 2,690 big businesses in New Zealand employing more than 100 staff – nearly 1,000 or 58 percent more than 20 years ago, Stats NZ said today. Over the 20 years to February 2020, the total number of enterprises in New Zealand increased ... More>>

ALSO:

RNZ: Housing Boom Could Get Worse, Economist Warns

Economists are calling on the Reserve Bank to reinstate lending restrictions, warning the housing market is spiralling out of control. More>>

ALSO:

Westpac: Sets Out Plan To Go Cheque-Free

Westpac NZ has announced details of its plan to phase out cheques, after signalling in May that it would be supporting a move to other forms of payment. Cheques will cease to be available as a means of payment after 25 June 2021. Westpac NZ General ... More>>

ALSO:

NZTA: Major New Zealand Upgrade Programme Projects Go To Tender

Two major New Zealand Upgrade Programme projects are beginning tenders for construction. The New Zealand Upgrade Programme is a $6.8 billion investment to get our cities moving, to save lives and boost productivity in growth areas. The first Auckland ... More>>

Reserve Bank: RBNZ Seeks To Preserve Benefits Of Cash

The Reserve Bank – Te Pūtea Matua is taking on a new role of steward of the cash system “to preserve the benefits of cash for all who need them”, Assistant Governor Christian Hawkesby told the Royal Numismatics Society of New Zealand annual conference ... More>>

ALSO:


CERT NZ: Malicious Computer Virus Targeting New Zealanders

CERT NZ, the government agency which supports organisations and individuals affected by cyber security incidents, says a recent surge of increasingly sophisticated malware attacks is affecting everyday New Zealanders as well as large organisations. The ... More>>

ALSO:

Economy: NZ Small Business Recovery Continues In September

Xero, the global small business platform, today released its Small Business Insights (XSBI) for September revealing an uptick in small business jobs and year-on-year revenue growth in New Zealand. Nationwide, the average number of jobs in the small ... More>>

ALSO:


Courts: Businessman Eric Watson Sentenced To A Four-Month Jail Term

New Zealand businessman Eric Watson has been sentenced to a four-month jail term in the UK for contempt of court, TVNZ reports. More>>

OECD: Area Employment Rate Falls By 4.0 Percentage Points, To 64.6% In Second Quarter Of 2020

The OECD area employment rate – the share of the working-age population with jobs – fell by 4.0 percentage points, to 64.6%, in the second quarter of 2020, its lowest level since the fourth quarter of 2010. Across the OECD area, 560 million persons ... More>>

Spark: Turns On 5G In Auckland And Offers A Glimpse Into The Future Of Smart Cities

Spark turned on 5G in downtown Auckland today and has partnered with Auckland Transport (AT) to showcase some of the latest in IoT (Internet of Things) technology and demonstrate what the future could look like for Auckland’s CBD with the power of 5G. 5G is ... More>>

Stats NZ: Monthly Migration Remains Low

Since the border closed in late-March 2020, net migration has averaged about 300 a month, Stats NZ said today. In the five months from April to August 2020, overall net migration was provisionally estimated at 1,700. This was made up of a net gain ... More>>