Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Queenstown Airport FY profit up 13% on passenger growth

Queenstown Airport FY profit up 13% on increased passenger numbers

By Hannah Lynch

Aug. 29 (BusinessDesk) - Queenstown Airport posted a 13.3 percent gain in full-year profit after an increase in passenger numbers helped lift commercial activities, such as retail, rental cars and car parking.

Profit increased to $5.2 million in the 12 months ended June 30, from $4.6 million a year earlier, the company said in statement. Sales rose 12 percent to $17.5 million.

The airport had a record 1.1 million scheduled passengers, made up of a 21 percent increase in international passengers to 195,249 and an 11.6 percent gain in domestic passengers to 851,795.

"The solid performance is driven by the strong increase in passenger numbers," chairman John Gilks said. “Looking ahead, Queenstown Airport is expecting future growth in aircraft and passenger volumes though it will be hard to repeat the double-digit growth rates experienced in the past year."

The increase in passenger numbers helped boost sales in commercial activities including, retail, rental car and car parking.

“Most retailers experienced good growth, and the demand and plans for expanded rental car operators and tenancies grew," Gilk said. "The opening of the new expanded Hertz Car Rental facility, the first commercial development by the Airport outside the terminal in several years, was a highlight and will lift next year’s commercial performance."

The board announced a dividend of $2.6 million taking its total dividend payout to $3.6 million for the 2012 financial year. Queenstown Lake District Council has a 75.1 percent controlling stake in the airport, while Auckland International Airport holds the remaining 24.9 percent.

Gilks said the "strategic alliance" between the two airports continues to benefit both parties.

“Access to greater aeronautical expertise, more competitive insurance rates, more ‘buying power’ in procurement projects as well as increased exposure of Queenstown in Auckland Airport’s international marketing campaigns, are some of the initiatives benefiting Queenstown Airport,” he said.

Seat capacity in and out of Queenstown for the financial period increased by 24.8 percent to 1.3 million.

Shares in Auckland International Airport are down 0.8 percent trading at $2.60. The stock has gained 2.4 percent this year. Its financial results are set for release on Thursday.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 




Civil Contractors: Massive Rebound In Civil Construction Business Confidence

New Zealand’s civil construction industry is riding a massive rebound in post-pandemic business confidence – but this may be undermined by skills shortages, which continue to be the industry’s number one challenge... More>>



Energy: Feeling Our Way Towards Hydrogen - Tina Schirr

Right now hydrogen is getting a lot of attention. Many countries are focusing on producing hydrogen for fuel, or procuring it, or planning for its future use... More>>

Maritime Union: Calls For New Zealand Shipping To Resolve Supply Chain Crisis

The Maritime Union says there needs to be innovative responses to ongoing shipping congestion. Maritime Union of New Zealand National Secretary Craig Harrison says it is essential that New Zealand develops its own shipping capacity... More>>


Housing: New Home Consents Continue To Break Records

A record 44,299 new homes were consented in the year ended June 2021, Stats NZ said today. “The annual number of new homes consented rose again in the June 2021 year, the fourth consecutive month of rises,” construction statistics manager Michael Heslop said... More>>


Real Estate: June Home Transfers Remain High
There were 44,517 home transfers in the June 2021 quarter, the highest June quarter figure since 2016, Stats NZ said today. The number of home transfers was very similar to the March 2021 quarter and was up 18,252 from the June 2020 quarter... More>>



Statistics: Household Saving Falls In The March 2021 Quarter

Saving by New Zealanders in the March 2021 quarter fell to its lowest level in two years after rising sharply in 2020, Stats NZ said today. Increases in household spending outpaced income growth, leading to a decline in household saving from the elevated levels that prevailed throughout 2020... More>>

ALSO: