More charges laid in reponse to Waikato bobby calves footage
By Edwin Mitson
May 26 (BusinessDesk) - The Ministry for Primary Industries has laid a second set of charges as part of an investigation into the alleged abuse of bobby calves in the Waikato.
MPI began investigating after TVNZ's Sunday programme broadcast footage which showed the calves being thrown onto trucks and being left for dead.
Ten charges were laid against an individual in March, with a hearing due to take place on June 2. Four charges have been laid against a company and a different individual today, with a hearing due at Huntly District Court on June 21.
MPI acting director of compliance, Steve Gilbert, said the investigation is onoing and had been "careful, methodical".
The footage was highlighted around the world, with the charity Save Animals From Exploitation taking out a full page advertisement in the UK's Guardian newspaper to focus attention on the treatment of newborn calves. In December, activists said they had been invited to speak with directors of Fonterra Cooperative Group about the issue.