Balance of Payments and International Investment Position
Balance of Payments and International Investment Position: Year ended 31 March 2017
27 September 2017 - This information release brings together previously released quarterly statistics for the balance of payments and international investment position into year-ended March 2017 totals.
At 31 March 2017:
• Of New Zealand’s $234.2 billion total investment abroad, 59.3 percent was in Australia, the United States of America, and the United Kingdom.
• Of the $387.1 billion foreign investment in New Zealand, 58.5 percent was from Australia, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America.
• Japan was New Zealand's fourth-largest inward ($10.7 billion) investment partner. It was also our fourth-largest outward ($11.4 billion) investment partner.
• New Zealand’s foreign-currency-denominated external debt was $120.5 billion (95.4 percent of which was hedged).
Key information in this release includes:
• stocks and flows of international investment, which are disaggregated by selected countries
• international assets and liabilities, direct investment, and investment income, which are disaggregated by industry
• hedging of New Zealand's foreign-currency-denominated overseas debt.
The 2017 hedging survey covered a sample population of 77 enterprises, or 85.0 percent of New Zealand’s overseas liabilities denominated in foreign currencies.