NZ Online Retail Sales - Update for August 2017
Please find attached the latest BNZ and Marketview monthly report on New Zealand’s Online Retail Sales.
• August saw year-on-year growth in New Zealanders’ total online retail shopping lift to 12%, a nice upturn following softer-than-usual growth in July.
• Purchases from offshore online retailers were up 14% on August 2016. Computers and Electronics drove nearly half of the increase.
• Spending at local online retailers was up 10% on August last year. Food, Clothing and Electronics were responsible for 80% of this increase. Purchases of Entertainment Media were also strong, 26% higher than in last August.
• Spending at local bricks-and-mortar stores was 4.8% higher than August 20161 - a strong result, but again outshone by the online growth rate.
• New Zealand’s online spending is growing at a similar rate to that of Australia. The NAB Online Retail Sales Index shows year-on-year growth in Australian online sales was 10.3% in August and 8.5% in July.