Regional Round-Up - Lion RAW Battle of the Bands
22 August 2001
It’s crunch time as bands all over the country prepare for the regional semi-finals of the Lion Red RAW Battle of the Bands.
For the past four weeks, over two hundred up-and-coming New Zealand bands have strummed, plucked, drummed and sung their way through the first round of the Lion Red RAW Battle of the Bands. Around 100 likely bands have made it through the heats and will be taking part in their local semi-finals.
The 15 outlets chosen to host the Lion Red RAW Battle of the Bands competitions are halfway through their action-packed eight weeks of New Zealand music. Some have been selected as part of an on-going, national Lion Red RAW music tour circuit.
The winning band in the national finals gets to record a single with Featherstone Studios’ Area 51 Facilty, which will then be mastered by the renowned producer, Don Bartley. CD pressing is supplied by Software Images and then the single will be released in New Zealand through Intergalactic Records. Music goods from NZ Rockshops, Fender & Marshall also are up for grabs. There is also a range of additional awards for individual performers.
“We’ve seen some high-quality bands coming through the heats this year which is going to make for an extremely exciting national final,” says Andrew Featherstone, event organiser / promoter.
The regional semi-finals begin on the 22, 23 and 24 August in selected outlets.
Siobhan Robertson Nicola Goes
Public Relations Executive Promotions Manager
Lion Breweries 2001 Lion Red Raw National Battle of the Bands
Ph: 09 358 8503 Ph: +64 9 827 4500
Fax: 0-9-358-8587 Fax: +64 9 827 4599
Mob: 025 301 968 Mobile: +64 25 722 925
E-mail: email@example.com Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
August 22, 2001
- Each venue will host five heats, two semi-finals and one regional final. *
- There will be four bands per heat, and five in the semi-finals. *
- Two bands will make it through each heat, and two from each semi. *
- Each venue will have its own regional final, with four finalists.
- The winner from each region will make it to the national final in Auckland on Friday 28 September 2001.
* Dependant on demand.
- The recording of a single @ Area 51 facility, based at Featherstone Studios Music Complex, Auckland.
- Mastering by Don Bartley @ Studio 301, Sydney, the region’s best mastering ears.
- NZ’s premier CD pressing plant, Software Images, will be helping to design and print the CD inserts, as well as manufacture and package the first run of CDs.
- Single to be released through Intergalactic Records - marketed and distributed
throughout New Zealand.
- NZ on Air will include the single on a NZ on Air Hit Disc.
- Major instrument prizes, including a Marshall amp, from NZ Rockshops.
- Many more minor prizes.
There will again be a series of awards in this year’s event, which aim to recognise individual excellence. They are: Best Songwriter(s), Most Passionate Performer, Best Vocalist, Best Guitarist, Best Bassist, Best Drummer and Best Instrumentalist.
All national finalists automatically enter the awards.
- The cost of entry is $45 per band.
- A one-page biography is required.
- A 30-35 minute set with at least three original compositions is required.
- Judging is based on the overall picture with awareness of professionalism, originality, sound quality (of the band), song - writing/song quality, musicianship, presentation, entertainment factor, communication, band image, crowd response, vocal ability and potential.
2001 LION RED RAW NEW ZEALAND BATTLE OF THE BANDS
VENUE HEAT 1 HEAT 2 HEAT 3 HEAT 4 HEAT 5 SEMI 1 SEMI
Papakura Wed 18/7 Wed 25/7 Wed 1/8 Wed 8/8 Wed 15/8 Wed 22/8 Wed 29/8 Wed 12/9
Newton Thu 19/7 Thu 26/7 Thu 2/8 Thu 9/8 Thu 16/8 Thu 23/8 Thu 30/8 Thu 13/9
Henderson Fri 20/7 Fri 27/7 Fri 3/8 Fri 10/8 Fri 17/8 Fri 24/8 Fri 31/8 Fri 14/9
Devonport Sat 21/7 Sat 28/7 Sat 4/8 Sat 11/8 Sat 18/8 Sat 25/8 Sat 1/9 Sat 15/9
Waihi Fri 20/7 Fri 27/7 Fri 3/8 Fri 10/8 Fri 17/8 Fri 24/8 Fri 31/8 Fri 14/9
Whakatane Thu 19/7 Thu 26/7 Thu 2/8 Thu 9/8 Thu 16/8 Thu 23/8 Thu 30/8 Thu 13/9
Hamilton Sat 21/7 Sat 28/7 Sat 4/8 Sat 11/8 Sat 18/8 Sat 25/8 Sat 1/9 Sat 15/9
Palmerston North Thu 26/7 Thu 2/8 Thu 9/8 Thu 16/8 Thu 23/8 Thu 30/8 Thu 6/9
New Plymouth Fri 27/7 Fri 3/8 Fri 10/8 Fri 17/8 Fri 24/8 Fri 31/8 Fri 7/9
Lower Hutt Thu 26/7 Thu 2/8 Thu 9/8 Thu 16/8 Thu 23/8 Thu 30/8 Thu 6/9
Wellington Thu 19/7 Thu 26/7 Thu 2/8 Thu 9/8 Thu 16/8 Thu 23/8 Thu 30/8 Sat 8/9
Southern Blues Bar,
Christchurch Thu 19/7 Thu 26/7 Thu 2/8 Thu 9/8 Thu 16/8 Thu 23/8 Thu 30/8 Thu 6/9
Timaru Sat 28/7 Sat 4/8 Sat 11/8 Sat 18/8 Sat 25/8 Sat 1/9 Sat 8/9
Hard Rock Cafe,
Queenstown Fri 27/7 Fri 3/8 Fri 10/8 NO SEMI FINALS IN QUEENSTOWN Fri 7/9
Invercargill Fri 27/7 Fri 3/8 Fri 10/8 Fri 17/8 Thu 23/8 Fri 31/8 Fri 7/9
NATIONAL FINAL FRI 28 SEPTEMBER AUCKLAND
PH. (09) 827 4500, (09) 827 4599, FAX (09) 827 4599, (025) 722 925 E-MAIL, email@example.com