The Lotto Taste The Festival Roadshow
New Zealand Festival Media Release
THE FLAVOUR OF THE FESTIVAL
THE LOTTO TASTE THE FESTIVAL ROADSHOW
Sponsored by: Lotto
Supported by: Transpower, Newstalk ZB, Air New Zealand
The inaugural New Zealand Festival Roadshow, launching in Auckland on October 6, will take a taste of the Festival to a national audience for the first time. Touring ten regional centres from Auckland to Dunedin over seven weekends, the Roadshow events - Lotto Festival Picnics - will feature video previews of Festival shows, performances by New Zealand musicians and appearances by actor/singer Jackie Clark and Lotto Presenters Hilary Timmins and Russell Harrison.
The Roadshow festivities will take place on a Stagecoach bus, which has taken five people more than a month to adapt to its new role. Weighing in at 11 tonnes, the roof of the bus folds up and a fully-equipped stage folds out. A comfortable driver's seat has been installed for long distance travel and the inclusion of a generator has meant that the Roadshow will be fully self-sufficient.
What is the Lotto Taste the Festival Roadshow?
A series of open air Lotto Festival Picnics in 10 New Zealand Centres. Each Lotto Festival Picnic will feature:
- A taste of the 2002 New Zealand Festival.
- 90 minutes of free family entertainment in the open air
- Music, Festival video previews and prizes co-hosted by the fabulous Jackie Clark and Lotto presenters Hilary Timmins and Russell Harrison.
- 2002 New Zealand Festival programmes and a Festival Director in person to answer questions.
Giveaways (in each location) will include:
- One major prize of an Air New Zealand Festival Weekend, which includes an all expenses paid weekend for two, staying in Wellington for the 2002 New Zealand Festival. This prize includes Air New Zealand flights to and from Wellington, accommodation and tickets to a variety of Festival events. Enter by buying a Lotto Triple Dip at any Lotto outlet or by taking a Triple Dip to the Lotto Festival Picnic event in your town. If you win the major prize and are present at the Lotto Festival Picnic to claim it, you will win an extra $200 to spend during your weekend in Wellington.
- 20 Lotto tickets and drink bottles
- 5 double passes (value $50 each) to the Lotto sponsored Festival event and $100 cash with each double pass won.
- New Zealand Festival Kiwi soft toys and Picnic t-shirts
When and where are the Lotto Festival Picnics?
Auckland Saturday 6 October Aotea Square
As part of the Saturday morning market 2:00-3:30pm
Hamilton Sunday 7 October Waikato Events Centre
As part of the Waikato Home and Garden Show 11.00am-12:30pm
Gisborne Saturday 13 October Gisborne A & P Showgrounds
As part of the Poverty Bay A & P Show 2:00-3:30
Hastings Saturday 20 October Hawkes Bay Showgrounds
As part of the Hawkes Bay Show, three twenty-minute presentations between 10:30am-4:30pm.
New Plymouth Saturday 27 October Garden Party of the Year Junction Rd
As part of the Rhododendron Garden Festival from 2:30-4:00pm
Dunedin Saturday 3 November Otago Aero Club, Stedman Road, Taieri. As part of Otago’s Great Fireworks Display from 5:30-7:00pm
Christchurch Sunday 4 November Christchurch Arts Centre
As part of the Weekend Markets from 12noon-1:30
Nelson Saturday 10 November Montgomery Square
As part of the Weekend Markets from 12noon-1:30
Martinborough Sunday 18 November Alana Estate
As part of the Toast Martinborough Festival from 12noon-1:30.
Wellington Daily during the Festival Various Locations
How do people get to be part of Lotto Festival Picnics?
- Just turn up at the Lotto Festival Picnic near your town and join in the fun.
- Ask at your local Lotto outlet when and where the Lotto Festival Picnic is happening near you.
- Or go to the Festival website at www.nzfestival.telecom.co.nz
- Get a free 2002 New Zealand Festival Programme at your Lotto Outlet.
Why have a Lotto Roadshow?
Quotes from the key players.
Artistic Director of the New Zealand Festival, Carla van Zon says:
“The Roadshow is about person to person contact. Ours is a Festival for all New Zealanders. It's about, energy, vibrancy and colour and I'm looking forward to offering a slice of that Festival “feel’ nationwide. I'm looking forward to being part of the Lotto Roadshow - it's taking us to some of the most beautiful parts of the country and I'm really grateful to Lotto for helping us take the Festival to a wider audience in a real and meaningful way.’
Lotto Festival Picnic Co-Host and Lotto Presenter Hilary Timmins says:
“Lotto is all about fun and family. I’m delighted that Lotto is part of the New Zealand Festival and that the Roadshow will allow families from around New Zealand to get a taste of the Festival in their home town. And, everyone at the Roadshow events who has a Triple Dip ticket with them, has the chance to win a fabulous weekend for two in Wellington to enjoy the New Zealand Festival.’
Lotto Festival Picnic Co-Host and Lotto Presenter Russell Harrison says:
“I am a strong supporter of the concept of bringing top quality entertainment to New Zealanders wherever they live. Lotto’s involvement with the Festival Roadshow is all about showcasing the very best entertainment and making it affordable and accessible for people around the country.’
Vanessa Ellis Lotto General Manager Marketing says:
“New Zealand has the biggest Arts Festival on the Pacific Rim and we're thrilled to be enabling families all over New Zealand to enjoy the excitement of world class arts entertainment in their own region, with a weekend picnic in the open air.’
For further information contact:
2002 New Zealand Festival
Media Communications Manager
025 674 0482