Mika Haka Launches Urban Maori Pacific Dance Champ
Mika Haka Launches Urban Maori Pacific Dance Champs
The first ever Toa Toa Urban Maori Pacific Dance Champs will be staged throughout Auckland later this month culminating in a grand final at the Aotea Centre on November 29.
Performing artist Mika and his Torotoro Dance Crew are scouting for young dancers in all styles including kapa haka, Pacific Island, hip hop, breakdancing and 'global'.
Four heats will be held in Glen Innes, Otara, Glen Eden and Grey Lynn from November 20 to 23 and prizes include $1,000 cash, Ecko clothes and dance scholarships to the 3rd Mika HAKA Summer School.
Torotoro have toured New Zealand and Britain this year as part of the Mika HAKA show with performances at the world's largest arts festival in Edinburgh, Scotland, and more recently welcoming the Amerigo Vespucci for the America's Cup.
Mika says the dance champs and the summer school will help identify talent for his professional Polynesian dance troop.
"We're sure to find fresh new talent to get involved in Torotoro and who knows - they may even end up travelling the world in the Mika HAKA show in 2003."
The Toa Toa Urban Maori Pacific Dance Champs are being held at the:
* Tamaki College Recreation Centre, Elstree Avenue, Glen Innes (6pm, Wed Nov 20);
* Otara Music Arts Centre, cnr Newbury Street and Bairds Road, Otara (6pm, Thurs Nov 21);
* Kelston Community Centre, cnr Awaroa and Gt North Roads, Glen Eden (6pm, Fri Nov 22);
* Grey Lynn Community Centre, 510 Richmond Road, Grey Lynn (6pm, Sat Nov 23);
* and the NZI Convention Centre, Aotea Square – The Edge, Queen Street (GRAND FINAL: 7pm, Fri Nov 29).
free and there are no entry fees to the dance champs. Entry
forms are available from the website – www.mika.co.nz